Funny Smell After Revving

I bought my '02 WRX two months ago, and just recently started smelling a plasticy/rubbery burning smell after a medium high rev (4000 rpms or so). For example, while backing out a friend's steep driveway (moving uphill), I ran the revs a little high as I brought up the clutch. Immediately after, I smelled a burning plasticy smell. It's not burning rubber or oil, and I'm stumped. I've driven standard all my life and never encountered that smell. I doubt it's clutch, but I don't know. Any help? Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
superfrog

It's clutch. Won't last very long if you keep slipping it like that.

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

"superfrog" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

When I had that smell, turned out to be the alternator. I checked the voltage across the battery and only got 11.8 volts. Should've been 13.5 to 14.4 volts. Bearings went bad, generated heat, and was melting the varnish on the windings. The smell went away when the car got parked but came back when I revved it up to drive it.

Reply to
*Vanguard*

Could have been a partially shorted cell in the battery? An '02 should still be under warrantee, unless you are a farm equipment salesman who drives a WRX to cut down trip times. Have the dealer check it out. The battery won't be under warrantee if he does the checking or you. Username munged by FixNews

Reply to
Don