97 tacoma burning smell in 4X4

When I engage the 4X4 on my 4cyl tacoma it gives off a hot ?burning? smell. Any ideas what it could be. I use my 4X4 regularly = once a month. thanks

Reply to
maclow

What is it's recent service history? How many miles?

When you say "hot burning smell," what does it smell like? Wood? chemical? burning oil? rubber?

Reply to
Ray O

Hi there...

The truck has 160,000 km. The burning smell is similar to the smell emitted when driving with your parking break engaged. I guess i would classify it as a rubber or oil smell.

any ideas would be helpful. thanks

mac

Reply to
maclow

Any work, i.e., oil change, etc. done lately?

Reply to
Ray O

"maclow" wrote: > When I engage the 4X4 on my 4cyl tacoma it gives off a hot > 'burning' smell. Any ideas what it could be. I use my 4X4 > regularly = once a month. > thanks

Ray,

I have been changing the oil on my own consistently, but the smell has been persistant. It occurs all the time, so i don?t think it would be oil dripping on the manifold or anything. I should mention that I have changed the fluid in my rear diff since acquiring the truck but have not touched the front one due to the difficulty in accessing it and my laziness.

thks again

Reply to
maclow

Without smelling the odor, I'm stumped. The only things I can think of that might give off a burning smell only in 4WD are:

Oil level in the transfer case too low with insufficient lubrication; Oil in the transfer case too high, coming out a breather hole; Something in the front diff slipping and burning.

Reply to
Ray O