Gasoline for Turbo engine

Fine, but you haven't shown us that you are any more enlightened. I am aware of different regional models being tuned/setup differently to match regulations and available fuel. So if you have anything other than hot air to contribute, please do - we all prefer to intake cold air...

Reply to
The Gadget Shop

OK, here's what I see.

a) Someone who has a lighthearted comment that the fuel sold in Australia is better, honestly believing so before being corrected.

b) Same someone being corrected, but doesn't seem to let up that said fuel sold in the United States is equivalent to that sold in the United States.

As for the octane requirements of gasoline engines and the fuel needed to supply those requirements......

Believing that 96 [RON] octane premium unleaded fuel sold in Australia has greater anti-knock resistance than 91 [(R+M)/2] octane premium unleaded fuel sold in the United States is like saying that 100 km/hr is faster than 62.5 mi/hr. You're dealing with **different measurement scales**. While there are differences in anti-smog, sulfur, etc requirements, the anti-knock properties should be the same.

Regular: 91 RON should be equivalent to 87 (R+M)/2. Premium: 96 RON should be equivalent to 91 (R+M)/2.

If you can't understand this, then I suppose there is nothing more that can be done to help explain it to you.

Reply to
y_p_w

Correction. Should have read:

b) Same someone being corrected, but doesn't seem to let up that

Reply to
y_p_w

... why aren't these guys being sued by expensive car owners whose engines are being fried because the octane booster didn't actually deliver on its claims of 15 points? Let's see.. 91 + 1.5 = 92.5. And who says I use only one bottle?

Reply to
k. ote.

realize that

".7"=7points)

Well - I think there are some products (like xylene) that provide a blended octane increase. They have an inherently higher anti knock rating and using enough roughly brings the octane rating up in proportion to the amount used. Xylene has a (R+M)/2 octane rating of 117.

Then there are anti-knock additives - I think tetraethyl lead would be the best known. They improve the anti knock properties of any fuel, but don't have any "octane rating" per se because they can't be used as a fuel.

Reply to
y_p_w

Except that they are not safe for catalytic converters. I use an octane booster. I can get 92 octane (AKI) and I use it to get close to the 93 octane that the car needs. It does help with knock on hot days. However, one has to be careful since the really effective boosters have lead in them and will destroy the catalytic coverters; an expensive fix.

Reply to
JD

Never said otherwise. Lead is illegal except for off-road purposes. The lead additives I see in auto parts stores clearly state that they are meant for private roads/marine/track/aviation use.

However - I was just getting that toluene/xylene simply blend into a roughly average octane rating. Lead actually improved the anti knock resistance regardless of the base fuel.

Reply to
y_p_w