Getting used to the Sube

It's different than any car I have started driving before. Subtle changes in seat position, and tire pressures seems to have helped a lot, making it easier to drive and shift smoothly, and getting the ride to my liking.

The clutch grabs pretty low in my opinion, so harder to engage it smoothly, with my leg extended pretty far. Learning the best points to shift has taken time, more than I expected. Not driving a stick in

25yrs didn't help, but I used to adapt fairly fast. The clutch seems to grab fast, like I let the clutch out too fast, but it has been hard to engage smoothly when starting, and feel like I'm letting it slip too much, like just learning to drive one.

I'm getting there, even though slowly. Had to learn the wipers fast, in a short, light, shower. I had the rear wiper working good.))

VF

Reply to
houndman

I've learned not to be too concenred about a little 'jerking', or even stalling once or twice a year. Better than burning up clutch material. My goal, as someone suggested to me, is to try to be completely off the clutch within 2 feet of travel - most times I think I'm doing much better - though reversing is still the hardest to avoid 'slipping' the clutch. I hate that smell!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Smelling the Clutch..YIKES!!)) I don't smell anything except the new car smell. Don't think I have a problem with reverse.

Since I have muscle weakness problems, and where the clutch grabs, I think they are at least part of the problems, and why the seat distance adjustment helps. I think if I can get the Mustang/Recaro seats in, with the under thigh adjustable support, it might help, so my legs aren't hanging in mid air. I had throught about trying to attach something similar to the Sube seats if the Mustang didn't fit, or it took me too long to get them in. It's like an erector set Sube, or a chinese menu one. One from column A, & 1 from B.)) Hopefully If and when I am done, it will be to my liking. I have wanted the Mustang SVO for 20+ years, and may buy one Just to have it, but with the seats from one in a Sube wagon, and just about the same HP in the base Sube. The SVO is a turbo, with 175 or 200HP. I figured the Sube was a better choice. They only made 10K SVO's over 3 yrs, and many parts are different than the GT, and Really hard to find, and a 20+ yr old car.

VF

Reply to
houndman

I think you may well find problems fitting those seats. The distances on the Mustang seat mounting runners will be imperial whereas the Subaru mounting brackets/points will be metric. And if you have to fabricate or make up/change mounting hardware do you have to get it re-certified because the seat belt anchorages will come off them ?

Reply to
Bugalugs

Will have to work out the runners, and they sell ones for Recaro's to fit all cars now, though mighty expensive. Sube anchors the seatbelt to the seat, which isn't the way to do it, but I was after a 5 or 6 point racing harness, though anchoring the shoulder belts is a challenge to attch them where they should be. Was going to keep the Sube 3point belts, but anchor them to the floor.

VF

Reply to
houndman

Oh yea, I wanted to try to keep the seat raising and lowering feature of the Sube seats, though once set, it wouldn't be needed often, but the SVO seats have a Big knob to adjust the side thigh supports, that will interfere. Could try switching it to the inboard side, though the console might be in the way with teh seat moved back. A smaller knob might be needed, or removing the seat base trim on the Sube frame, if the frame can be used.

Reply to
houndman