Insurance - getting started.

My daughter (28) passed her test about 10 years ago but has not owned a car. She sometimes drives her mother's car as a named driver.

Sooner or later she will want a car and be able to afford one - what is the best way of her getting some NCB? I have used one of the comparison sites and had quotes of around £800 TPF&T. Is this to be expected? Will any insurer take her involvement as a named driver into consideration and give her a discount?

Reply to
John

Some will, particularly if your wifes present insurer will produce a letter confirming that daughter hasn't been the subject of any claims during x period.

Alternatively, when your wifes policy is up for renewal consider changing to one of the firms that lets named drivers earn their own NCB.

Regards,

Reply to
Him & Her

They might. My daughter is paying less than that for fully comp at age

20, passed for just a year, one claim. (TBH the difference between Comp & TPFT isn't worth the hassle.)

You won't get the best deal from a web quote on a case like that, but take some promising quotes then phone the companies. It takes a human being to apply discretionary discounts!

For example we just did the comparison site thing on my son's insurance. The quotes were coming back at twice his current premium on a lower group car - but a phone call to his insurer said they'd swap it for free.

Comparison sites are useful, but they don't always work.

Reply to
asahartz

"John" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Have a policy. Don't claim.

Go on, give us a clue as to the car...

If they do, it'll probably be as an "introductory" (aka marketing) discount, and may not be as fully portable as a year's normal NCB.

Anyway - 28, and you're still sorting this shit for her? C'mon...

Reply to
Adrian

Sounds very high. Price comparison site: old banger group 10, similar situation, TPF&T, no NCB, 300 quid (Swiftcover).

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Sorry - a Daewoo Kalos

I know - but she is liable to get caught out!

Reply to
John

Normal parent reaction! I'm trying very hard to keep out of being involved in my elder kid buying his own house, avoiding "Harry Enfield" comments and the like whilst just answering his queries. To bring this back on track, he bought his own car at about 20, barely used it for about a year. Now 30 y/o happy using public transport and his bicycle! Probably more economical for his activities.

Reply to
Clot