Have a question...what the heck did I just buy? ('89 Subaru ????)

Hi!

I have no idea what it is...it is all wheel drive, I don't think it's a turbo (I fix my own cars, and I didn't *SEE* a turbo!)

It's a 2-door hatch, usual late 80's front end, hatch glass is a little 'rounded'. No badging on it so I don't know what it is!! It's not a Justy, I know that.

It's either a DL or an XT (I think...) any identification would be a help!

It has 13" wheels, but that's wrong. So if anyone in New England has a set of 14" wheels, let me know!

Why did I buy a car I know nothing about?! I deliver newspapers and wanted an AWD hatch or wagon. It's in decent shape (I won't be embarassed paking it in front of the house) and it was cheap, with 'low' miles. I know it has more than the 125,000 showing...it needs one ball joint and one tie rod end. Everything but the air appears to be working.

Reply to
Hachiroku

In addition to replies here, the folks at

know a lot about keeping older soobs on the road. Got any pics?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

**Hachi, you nut! Is buying cars your hobby? What's the matter, don't want to take the Supra out? :)

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

You can get the information you need from the vin number.

I tried doing a quick search but did not find a site, that I used before which has links to all the needed info.

To get the general idea, you can start here:

If you google, you will find a site which tell what kind of subaru, etc etc. Good luck

Hachiroku ???? wrote:

Reply to
AS

Not an XT. Sounds like a 3-door hatch. Same body used by the later model RXs. What year is it? Do a goggle search for "Subaru RX". Your new car should have the same body style.

Reply to
johninKY

or maybe post a pic? 2 birds with one stone that way; someone helps you and we all find out too! At least it's probably not an AMC Gremlin :)

Reply to
hippo

Thanks. I wasn't paying too much attention, but I did notice the sales guy putting an "X" in the VIN, and since I *KNOW* it's not an SVX then it's an XT.

Reply to
Hachiroku

YUP...looks like this:

no badging/stickers and no Turbo, I don't believe.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hey! Thos were cool! My housemate in college had one of those. Best feature of the car: slide the seats forward, remove the headrests, flop the seatbacks all the way down and slide them back so they meet the rear seat...

Used to borrow it a lot when I had a date! ;P

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hey! What're YOU doing here?!?!

No, the Supra is NOT going on this job! I was thinking about it for warm nights when I could take the roof off, but I have a couple of "Ugly Women" to drive down (five miles of bad road...). I ain't pounding the suspension like that!

Plus I wanted AWD for the winter...another thing the Supra will NEVER see!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I posted what I found further up.

Thanks for the link!

Reply to
Hachiroku

This looks like it. Not sure if it's a DL or a GL: AT, Power Windows and DL:

Hachiroku

Oh, and I just needed yet *ANOTHER* 'project'...

I think the Hachiroku is going to go. After three years in the back yard, I just don't have the time/effort/money to do it...

Hey, I got 18 years out of it! Maybe some kid will buy it and drift it.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Again, it is not an XT. Whatever you have is a fairly rare. I've only seen 2 in my entire life and both where FWD models. Like you I don't know what they where called other than a 3-door hatchback. The fact that yours is AWD has me wondering. I wonder if it is the very rare RX model and somewhere in its life the turbo engine was replaced with a non turbo engine. How many injectors does the engine have? If 4 or one per cylinder then there is an excellent chance you have the RX model with a transplanted XT non turbo engine.

Reply to
johninKY

I have an open Carfax account. If you send me the VIN, I will tell you exactly what you have.

Dan D (formerly) '99 Legacy L 30th (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

**I actually own a 2005 Subaru Impreza RS Sportwagon :) Nat the Wicked cross-posted into the Hyundai NG one day (I used to own a Santa Fe) so I followed her back to the Toyota group :) We used to post in the Star Trek NGs eons ago. The Toyoto group is so OT that I like to read all the political bloviations.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Thanks! I was supposed to close the deal today, but I am putting my Mazda

626 on the road (I ain't doing 60 miles a day with a new Scion and an old Supra on back roads!).
Reply to
Hachiroku

I always wanted an Impreza, but always wound up with Toyotas. I was lookinig for an Impreza or an Outback when I found this...it was the first car I found that had what I wanted...shoot, it was the first car I SAW!!! All the goodies I wanted; PW, AT (I like 5 speeds but a delivery route is too hard with a stick...), and AWD for the winter. Body is in good shape, rust just starting, but still just surface. I'll fix that before it hits the road.

Reply to
Hachiroku