"What do I have" Question

I cant find it anywhere - not sure if owners manual has this info - I have a 2002 TJ Sahara. What Diff do I have? Dana 35? Is it limited slip? When I take off fast in dirt both wheels spin - I thought it was a locked rear. Wouldn't be good for corners on pavement if it was tho. Anyways sorry for the newbie question.

Reply to
Thoth1126

You probably have an open Dana35c.

There should be a tag on the differential that will say if it hasn't been removed or fallen off.

You can also get a 'build sheet' at your local dealer or via customer assistance on the Jeep web site. The build sheet will list the components used to build your Jeep.

Reply to
billy ray

Most Saharas came with the limited slip rear. It could be a DANA 35, but the DANA 44 was an option. Like billy ray said, get the build sheet. customerassist at daimlerchrysler dot com

Reply to
JimG

To see if you have an open diff or not, you jack up the rear wheels and rotate one. If the other turns the same way, you have a locker or limited slip. If the other turns opposite, you have an open diff.

When you take off, 'equal' torque is sent to both rear wheels. If they both have 'equal' traction, they will both spin loose at the same time.

The fun starts when one has no traction like on ice. It will then spin using 'very little' torque to do so, so the exact same 'very little' torque gets sent to the tire on dirt and you just sit there....

The owners manual has a trick for this. If you load up the spinning tire with the brakes, the torque needed to keep it spinning raises way up. It will eventually get to and equal the torque needed to break the tire on the dirt loose so you get both wheels spinning and away you go.

The manual says to use the parking brake for this. I have much better luck using the brake pedal. I give it a hard shot on the brake while giving gas and usually can get 3 rooster tails going and sometimes all 4 even. The back drums work better for this than the front disks it seems to me anyway.

Mike

Mike Romain

Awesome everyone. Thanks., I have a feeling its a 44 because the guy I bought it from slapped EVERYthing on it. even the option windjammer. I'll let u know soon.

Reply to
Thoth1126

A 44 will look like an apple laying on it's side. The 35 has a round cover with a rubber plug hole in it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

If memory serves, the Sahara has the 30" Tire/Wheel Group as part of the package. In this case, I think you would have the Dana 44 unless you have ABS as well, in which case you definitely have the 35. In both cases you would have the limited slip.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

No ABS.. They tires do seem 30" I have to check at lunchtime outside. I'll look at those pics posted too. Looks like the 44 so far.

Reply to
Thoth1126

Your best bet is to get a build sheet from Chrysler. It will tell you everything it's equiped with. Also, post a picture of your rear end housing or 'pumpkin'. We'll be able to tell you what it is in short order.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

So I have 30" tires and 90% sure its a dana 44. Gonna get the build sheet.

Reply to
Thoth1126

Axle Identification Chart:

billy ray