head gasket

I've seen posts here before but I forget, how bad is the head gasket replacement work? This was a very nice 97 subaru legacy outback wagon that overheated on the highway. The way the coolant spurts out whenever it cranks looks like a head gasket problem.

Nils

Reply to
synthius2002

My repair at dealer was $1,375 with $250 for parts and the rest labor. Might give you some idea of work involved and difficulty.

Reply to
Frank

Generally a WHOLE LOT easier with the engine out of the car - and easier to pull it than to fight with it.

Reply to
clare

Thanks, and what was that stuff about towing? Pull a fuse due to the 4 wheel drive?

Reply to
synthius2002

The Turley tow company is all flatbeds all the time, so it wasn't an issue. Dispatch was an issue, since I was in western pa headed north on I-76, but didn't know it's called "west 76", and the turnpike office dispatched a truck from New Jersey, who had a hard time finding me.

That subaru was a good car for a long time, and I really hope to have the engine rebuilt and on the road again. I may be hopelessly mired in the 20th century when this kind of work was considered normal and good, and affordable.

Nils

Reply to
synthius2002

Don't know what the book value is but when cost of repair approaches book value, I trade in. I had a well maintained Mazda stolen and all I could get was book value even though tires were brand new.

Reply to
Frank

Ha!, Pittsburgh PA, car is in monroeville. Want an engine rebuild '97 Subary legacy, 2.5

Is it politically incorrect to mention that I'm not rich? I'm considering using a technical school. Rumors are that they don't charge, since the students need the experience.

Nils K. Hammer

Reply to
synthius2002

I saw a place called J-tec in Butler mentioned at

- you might ask over there and also at
if no one here has a suggestion.

good luck

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Had the head gaskets on our '99 Fartster done 3 times by Suby dealers under warranty, including a complete shortblock replacement at about 85,000 km after the leaking coolant ate the coating off the pistons and left it rattling like a length of logging chain. Seems to me the dealer told me if not under warranty it would have been around $1,200 to 1,400 Cdn. for the gasket job.

Problem was not solved until I had the gaskets done yet again out of warranty by my local, non Suby private garage. He used aftermarket gaskets rather than Suby parts because according to him every set of Suby gaskets he'd seen installed in the 2.5 engines had failed. That was about

4 or 5 years back now and still no leaks. His bill was somewhere around $600.

If bullshit was saleable, lots of dealerships wouldn't need to sell cars.

Reply to
Kevin Hall