Wrapping up...was "Oil in Spark Plug Sleeves"

Hello group:

For those of you interested, and especially Todd, my fellow reliability martyr.. :)

When we last left off my saga, I had just picked up my Subie after $2100.00 of head gaskets, only to return with the car still having serious driveability issues. Returning to the dealership produced a diagnosis of ignition coil problems. $450.00. Picking up the car after this repair, it hadn't improved at all, and I did a U-Turn back to the dealership full of frustration. I decided to wait until all was resolved before reporting back...

Obviously, I was beginning to despair. The dealership kept the car over the weekend and for one or two days. Eventually I received a phone call. The final diagnosis was that it *wasn't* the ignition coil after all, but a faulty oxygen sensor which was causing intermittent problems. Apparently they spent hours trying to diagnose it. The repair cost with diagnosis was to be another $450.00. Bad news!! But wait!...

The service manager was apologetic about the misdiagnosis, so he refunded the cost of the ignition coil, and didn't charge me for the diagnosis or repair of the oxygen sensor. So I was only left with an hour or so of service cost. I was pleased with that - given that I might have been charged $800.00 or more, I finished up with only $150.00 or so in my cost. Obviously it wasn't a great situation, given the time wasted and frustration, etc., but I was satisfied with the final resolution.

SO....since then (2 weeks or so), the car has not exhibited the problems again, so it looks like it has been fixed. After all this I still feel like I am driving a carton of fragile eggs, however, worrying every second that the *&*& thing might suddenly die on me again. It does have a somewhat rough idle, but it hasn't stalled, backfired or anything like that.

BUT... I was still unhappy about having to pay for two complete head gasket jobs within 60,000k, and opened a case with Subaru. After several weeks of phone calls, requests for service information, etc. I was informed that Subaru was not willing to pay for any of it. "Out of warranty"..."hadn't performed all service at Subaru dealership"... incomplete service records... blah blah. Everything very polite and professional, but no $$ for you!

I responded with a spreadsheet listing service and repairs and emails to Subaru and Dealership and phoned both complaining in person. I was offered a 50/50 split on the head gasket repair. I took that deal. Perhaps the figure of $4700.00 in maintenance/repair costs in 2007 in the spreadsheet helped, who knows? (BTW...think I got you beat there, Todd!). Or, their plan all along was to say no to soften me up for a

50/50 split...

Ok, perhaps I might have continued with a long fight and gotten a better deal, but I also have a life, so, meh, it's over for me. Here's hoping against hope that with all the problems and repairs I've had that maybe I'll get a few years of reasonable reliability.

Happy Holidays!

Fred

P.S. Power steering is still an issue I am working on with local garage. New PS pump was installed without improving the situation (That was under warranty). This saga is still ongoing...

Reply to
fred.boer

Good luck with your car Fred, and have a great holiday week. Thanks for sharing the story...makes me feel a little better about my own carton of eggs. :-)

Reply to
JohnO

Hey folks,

You will find very good help and advice at the ultimate subaru message board.org. The will help the novice to advanced.

It will be much more satisfying that trying to get answers here. Don't get me wrong, usenet can be useful. (no pun intended)

Good luck with your eggs...

Reply to
David

Interesting. Through my similar saga, I heard a lot of talk about o2 sensors being very often the culprit.

That's a lot easier to rectify than my case -- where it turned out to be a timing belt and tensioner replacement led to nearly a year of a goose chase where finally it was determined that a defective subaru oem timing belt tensioner failed to tension after hand turning the engine the TSB-specified number of times, flattened a tooth on the brand new belt, and then itermittently jumped one tooth here or there causing really anemic driveability issues that were intermittent.

I never got a break on the head rebuild my independent did, but man did he eat a lot of unpaid diagnosis hours trying to figure out what the hell was wrong. I wrap myself up in the feel good math of not having to worry about a Subaru head gasket any more though.

2007 was my most expensive auto maintenance year ever, and it won't be over soon enough! Thanks Subaru, you bastards. :-)

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

A sad story, Todd! :)

But I'm curious.. why are you so sure you won't have to worry about a "Subaru head gasket any more..."? I'm worrying about it constantly!

Never say never! :(

Reply to
Fred Boer

Because my repalced head gasket done with the head rebuild is not a Subaru part. :-)

And apparently once machined down and all that happiness, the recurrence of head gasket problems on these supposedly isn't bad, but time will tell i'm sure.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Ah, well here's hoping... My head had to be machined when they did it the first time at 89,000.... But surely to heavens they have a good head gasket now - and I'm getting the magical stop-leak fluid too...

I washed my car today, checked the tire pressures, threw out the garbage, filled it with gas, put in a favourite CD and I am now driving forward with a brave and daring heart into the hopeful future.

And if the Subie rewards me with a few good years of reliable service, I'll be sure to come back and play fair by mentioning it here!

Happy motoring!

Cheers! Fred

Reply to
Fred Boer

i had some major "mid-life" repairs done on my '02 legacy wagon (valve cover seals, clutch, brakes, etc.) and let myself get talked into replacing the accessory belt. although it wasn't completely necessary (the belt was worn, but still okay), it improved the power steering performance noticeably, especially at low speeds, like parking.

Reply to
tom klein