HELP!! How do I 'value' my car for resale???

Hey, all.

I have an 02 silver WRX Wagon which I've had on lease for 4 years. I've been a light driver; the mileage on the car is about 26,000 miles (42,000 km). I got it new, so I know exactly what it's been through.

At this point, my lease is up in October, and the buyout at that time will be a little under $15,000 USD. I don't necessarily _want_ to give up the car, but I'm just weighing all my options.

I _think_ that with the light mileage on the car, I could do better privately - but how do I assess that? I haven't needed to work this kind of thing out before.

I went to

and based on the results of my lookup there, the 'average retail' for this car of this year with 26000 miles is about $16,600 - which suggests I should sell privately.

Can someone suggest some guidance in making the decision as to whether to keep or sell?

Thanks!!!

Reply to
BD

Try

as an additional reference as well as perhaps the classifieds in your local paper. Any car lots with a similar vehicle may help also. keep in mind that asking price is often 10-20% more than selling price.

ymmv

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Mike

An odd thought filtered into my tired brain. The various resources like kbb.com go by the prices cars are offered for sale in the various regions... if everybody used a single service the price would be arbitrary and unstable, since the service would effectively look at its own output as the standard. If there were two services (and no independent pricing) they would tend to chase each other.

Maybe I should go to bed.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It sounds like it's going to be a wash, give or take a grand, whichever way you go. Subie's go for a premium where I live (ski resort), so you might be able to bring it here for a profit. Otherwise, my advice would be if you still like the car keep it. If you really want something new or different, get rid of it.

Reply to
Sheldon