HELP? Smoke coming from motor...???

Hey, all.

2002 WRX Wagon. Recently serviced (~2 weeks ago).

I was on a commute, driving quite normally, and noticed a small amount of smoke puffing out from my hood scoop.

I pulled over, opened the hood, and the area around (what I believe to be) the upper exhaust cover was putting out a little bit of smoke. Here's a pic: It was the red/brown stained area under the cover that I guessed was the source.

The amount of smoke was very small, and it the smoke stopped completely when I opened the hood.

I'd not been driving at super-high RPMs.

I let it cool a bit, then continued on (driving very gently, barely touching the turbo), and the symptom did not repeat.

I called the dealer, and they said to check my fluid levels - cooland and oil were fine. They asked if the motor had been overheating - but the main temp gauge was no higher than normal. It hovers at just under the halfway mark along its whole range.

Later, when I got home, I popped the hood, and the whole area under the hood felt considerably warmer than normal.

Now: it *is* warm out these days. I thought maybe ambient temperature might be playing a factor.

Any other obvious things I can factor in here?

What's the best advice? Keep driving normally until the symptom repeats, or get it in to the shop ASAP regardless?

Thanks for all tips...

BD

Reply to
BD

Thats your turbo. Had service latley ? Maybe a transmission oil change ? More then likely some got spilled in that area and is burning off. Check to make sure the dip stick is all the way in as well. you can see the dipstick handle in your picture, the gold handle way down there behind the turbo . Thats where they fill the transmission.

Reply to
Mike

I did have a recent servicing - trans fluid wasn't part of this one, but they might well have spilled a bit of oil. I'll monitor, and discuss with the dealer next week.

Thanks.

Reply to
BD