The beginning of the end? WTF happened?

Wanted to put an alarm in the Supra. Here in Mass, you get 15% off your insurance with alarms installed, and the Canadian models didn't come with the Factory alarm.

So, drove to W. Spfld, nearest dealer that actually HAD one, and 2/3 of the way there, I smell something. Since I was going through Holyoke, I figured the Illegals were burning the place again (eh, Wicked Doll/ mark digital?)

Then I see the smoke billowing out from under MY car!!!. I pull over and the temp gauge starts heading for the roof. I shut it down and got out; looke under the hood, and it looked like a lot of oil hit the header. Coolant was full and looked normal, oil looked god (a little low) and normal, but the dipstick was hotter than HELL!!!

I lit a ciggy and just let the smoke dissapate (the oil smoke, that is...), then turned the ign ON but not Start. The temp was still high. I finished the smoke, and with nothing visible anywhere I started it up. The gauge hovered where it was for 10 seconds and then started dropping. Oh, well, I can't stay here.

Went down, bought the alarm, and took the old highway (Rt 5) back to Northampton. Bought a coffe and a couple quarts of oil, started off again and got back on the Interstate. Never smoked or overheated again!

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!?!?!?! I can't figure it out. A guess? The PCV valve clogged and blew some oil past the VCG...it needs a new gasket anyway.

Nothing else appeared to have happened; at first I thought it was a BHG, but the smoke was coming from the Passenger's side, and the exhaust is on the driver's side...

When we put the timing belt in the car, we found a whole bunch of records indicating the girl who owned it before spent $900 on the cooling system; all new hoses, thermostat, I think a radiator, etc. So it looks like it had cooling probs before. NEVER did this to me before!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I believe you are confusing the insurance premium discount for a passive anti theft system, with alarm systems. The first get a discount the latter does not.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Here, as long as you have some kind of anit theft system, you get a discount.

Besides, I can set it up to arm passively AND lock the doors.

I can also set it up to lock the doors when you start the car, and unlock them when you turn the car off. Then, it arms and locks the doors 30 seconds after the last door is closed.

Actually, it is the exact same alarm installed by a Toyota dealer if you get the Dealer installed option.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I forget which engine your Supra has, check the cam tower gaskets for leaking oil. You may see oil pooling in the valley between the cam towers.

Reply to
Ray O

I went to Holyoke this morning via I-391 and didn't smell anything. Sometimes I do.

Reply to
mark digital

Hmmm...

7M-GE
Reply to
Hachiroku

In the last Ford I owned (16 years ago), I was driving down the interstate when a tremendous noise emanated from under the hood, accompanied by much smoke. I shut it (2.3 litre four) down, coasted to the shoulder, opened the hood.

Nothing. Just a little residual smoke that smelled like...RUBBER! I started it again...more smoke, then BANG! no more smoke. That was the AC clutch going out. The piston-style compressor had thrown a rod (the noise) freezing it up and causing the belt to burn (the smoke, smell).

I pulled the wire to the compressor clutch and drove home....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

IIRC, it was the 5M-GE engine that had the leaky cam tower gaskets. I'd take a look at the PCV and give the valve cover bolts a little tightening.

Reply to
Ray O

Locked doors and alarms do not an 'anti-theft system' make. A PAT, or anti-thief system, is one that prevents the vehicle from being started by anything but the coded key once the doors have been locked. If you have only an alarm system a thief can simply bust into your vehicle, walk away until the alarm times out, then return and hot wire it and drive away. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

This is true, however, from my experience in Massachusetts, you will get the insurance discount if just about any anti-theft system better than the Club is used.

Reminds me of a former co-worker, who used to use one of those original devices that locked the steering wheel to the brake pedal on his company car, and we used to kid him that that thing was useless and a waste of money.

His Celica GTS was stolen from a shopping mall and recovered a few weeks later. The car was found completely stripped including wheels, tires, engine, transmission, stereo, interior, hood, doors, fenders, etc. but the club thing was still installed! At least the thieves had a sense of humor.

Reply to
Ray O

If they want your car for parts or for export, they will simply drag it up onto a flat bed. Most newer cars today have a PAT system. My wife always wonders why I lock the doors on my car when the top is down. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

LOL! IMO, modern PAT systems are a very good idea. People complain about the high cost of replacement keys but IMO, factory systems are more effective and reliable than most aftermarket systems.

Reply to
Ray O

I get the same thing: "you're locking the dorrs with the roff panel out?!?!"

Yup...it'll take them that much longer, and there is always someone around where I work.

If they really want it, they'll just Flatbed it, no mater WHAT you have installed!

Reply to
Hachiroku