Hood Release cable broke 1990 Loyale

Hood release cable just broke on 1990 loyale . Its an automatic, so there is a trans cooler in front of the radiator. There is only about an inch between the back of the hood latch and the trans cooler. Can't get my hand up there to feel where the release is. Anyone experience this problem?

Reply to
issjoe

If no helpful response here, search/post the question at

. Those guys have a lot of experience keeping older subes on the road.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi,

Broke the cable on my '90 Loyale some years back. It's a stick, so there's no cooler but the A/C condenser probably made up for any "space gained." It took quite a bit of bending wires and holding one's mouth just right to get the release undone. This happened on a trip, so the car came home w/ a jerry-rigged wire loop hooked to the broken end of the cable that connected to the release latch.

Can't remember any "helpful hints" on getting things open, but when you put in the new cable, be sure there are no kinks and the runs are all "straight" as practical. It appeared someone had misrouted mine in a previous life, and the break was right at the "wrong" bend. Also, be sure to lube the cable and all the linkages well.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Any idea which end broke? If at the latch then you may have to end up sacrificing the grill to gain access. But if still attached at the release point/end then maybe you can get to the cable by removing the inner wheel wheel as I seem to recall the release cable runs under the front fender. And finally, maybe a long thin screwdriver can get in where the fingers can't.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

I got it open . The cable broke right by the hood latch.. There were a couple of bolts missng on the grill, so i pryed that up as it would go without breakig. Next I took out the verticle center support between the hood latch and the body. Then I could pull the hood latch far enough away from the trans. cooler to get my fingers behind latch. Found the hood cable realse and pulled with fingers, hood popped open.

Reply to
issjoe