2002 dodge ram 1500 can't open hood, cable broken at hood latch, help

I had to replace the battery in my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. When I released the hood latch in the cab of the truck I noticed it released but did not spring back like it usually did. I opened the hood and removed the battery and didn't think about the hood release. I had to get a new battery and without thinking closed the hood. When I returned I couldn't get back under the hood. I've been stuck since trying to figure a way to release the hood from the latch. I can see through the grill and cable is definitely separated from the latch. Any guidance you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
RAABATES

Did you ever figure this issue out? I'm having the same problem with my 02 Ram 1500

Reply to
jsteward

I have opened a mid 90's F150 hood after the cable broke. A good flashlight ( spotlight ) and a Telescoping Inspection Mirror will let you see the back side of the latch where the cable pull attaches. If like the ford you'll need to pull that towards the driverside. Pushing down on the hood ( taking pressure off the latch release by squashing the pop-up spring while make pulling that latch release a lot easier. Hope this helps. Sam ST1

Reply to
Sam Stone