Hot Rodding an Outback 3.0 Six

Hoping to hear from anyone with long term and/or power modification experience with the 3.0 six. I currently drive a 2004 WRX wagon and my wife a 2006 Outback 3.0. The plan is to sell the WRX next fall, I take the Outback, she gets a sedan, and I buy a used Miata or motorcycle for my "fun" driving. Love the WRX, but just doesn't fit the overall plan. The capacity and clearance of the Outback are plusses, as is the luxo interior, somthing I haven't had for a long time. '06 was a sleek body design with high ground clearance, so as looks go, prefer to the WRX. Power in the 3.0 is adequate, and the 5 speed auto at least has a sequential manual shiftgate. But I'm spoiled by the WRX and would love to juice up the six. Have seen a supercharger kit offerred for the Tribeca, and this is basically the same platform minus 500-600 lbs, so if it fit under the hood could be a screamer. Any others that people have tried?

Reply to
suburboturbo

I don't think there's a lot for the engine. Probably some suspension/braking stuff though. dig around at

also, Dale Teague at
will have some H6/outback/legacy handling and go fast bits.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl,

Thanks for the boxer4racing link. As you said, not much for the engine. I had seen a video clip posted at nasioc of an outback 3.0 on a track and it was surprsingly nimble despite its height. Subaru did a nice job with weight distribution on this model with most of the overhead mass aluminum. At first glance misread that name and thought of Dick Teague, legendary designer responsible for, among other things, the Packard Carribean and AMC AMX, Gremlin and Pacer. Wonder if there's a connection? Would make for an interesting historical progression.

Reply to
suburboturbo

I have no connection with boxer4 other than I bought my stromung axle-back from him. He even confirmed that it would fit the 06s before taking my order - no complaints. They also offer an interesting service - they will install Koni yellow shocks inside soob struts and swap out with you're struts (like a core exchange). I've seen a website that shows the steps, but not everyone is a DIYer. Anyway - they seem to have a few Legacy bits at decent prices.

good luck!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan