Legacy 3.0 R vs. 2.5 GT

Has anyone driven both? Last week I test drove a 2.5i Limited, and although I liked the car, there definitely wasn't enough pop when I pulled out into traffic on the highway. They just got a 2.5GT in today and another dealer has a 3.0 R and I'm going to test them both out. Just wondering though; is the turbo faster than the 6-cylinder

3.0 R or vice versa? ...and is there any reason to consider one over the other if the speed is anywhere near even?

I'm definitely not a racer, but I like to be able to jump out on to the highway without waiting for a giant break in traffic (I live in New Jersey, and um... people aren't alway kind to drivers trying to get on to the highway). My most recent vehicles have been a 1990 Maxima, a 2000 Maxima and a V8 Ford Explorer, so I'm used to having some power to work with. It was a bit alarming when stepped on the gas in the 2.5i 4-cylinder and it sort of took its' time getting up to a decent speed, lol. I've never driven or owned a turbo, but I hear that the Subbie turbo doesn't have that lag that I always heard about, so if the turbo 4-cylinder is comparable and costs a little less, why not?

Oh yeah, since the GT is manual, and I haven't driven a stick in 7 years, I may not be able to get the true feel for the car during my test drive because I'll be concentrating too hard on shifting for the first time in a while...

Any input is appreciated...

Reply to
swat

The 2.5 is gonna have a LOT more potential if you ever wanted to mod/tune it for power.

other than that - meh

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The 3.0 will have less lag during acceleration, and you will be able to have longer oil change intervals. Starting with the 2008 models, all turbo engines require more frequent oil changes to stay within warranty. Finally, based truedelta.com data posted, the 3.0 fuel economy should be better, with almost the same power.

Reply to
Tom Matthews

Considering the extra cost and risk of failure for the turbo, I don't get any cars with turbo anymore. I go for the bigger engine instead.

Reply to
VanguardLH

The turbo is laggy down below. Which is a major detriment in slow moving traffic. The forums got loads of stories with no cure, or reflashes that only cure for awhile. Lots of 'stumbling' complaints. And higher octane requirements, with more frequent oil changes. And many dealers are lousy.

The 6 is a much better choice for a commuter car. Actually the four is better. Just learn to really stick your foot in it. It'll move out just fine. And you'll have better mileage than the 6.

Reply to
Bob H

I drive a WRX 5sp wagon, but while shopping for a car for my wife we drove the 3.0 and 2.5XT Outbacks as well as a Legacy GT wagon. While I prefer a stick, she wanted an automatic, and we both felt that the

3.0 six was a better match for the automatic. Turbo lag with an automatic is annoying, but not the absolute horror I've experirnced in some other cars. The 3.0 was also available, at least on a couple of local dealer lots, with the LL Bean package which, for me doesn't matter, but since she was replacing an Infiniti G35, just had to have leather and the other upgrades to keep her happy. I prefer the Outback to the G35. Call me crazy, but I think that the much shorter wheelbase makes more responsive, and the extra ground clearance much more suited to our crappy roads and snowy winters (the G35 required a delicate approach to avoid scraping pavement on the small slope into our driveway. The Outback climbs curbs with ease. In short, no complaints on the 3.0. However, if it was for me, and I could get the stick, I probably would opt for the 2.5XT if I absolutely had to replace the WRX. Surprisingly, even I felt that the GT suspension was just too stiff, and I've also been a nut for handling upgrades regardless of how uncomfortable they made the ride. Good Luck.
Reply to
suburboturbo

Hey, thanks for all the input folks!

Reply to