How much for spark plugs?

I usually change my own spark plugs, but on my 2008 Impreza 2.5i I took a good look at how little clearance there was between the plug openings and other parts of the car, such as the battery. Combining that with that I recently had surgery and did not want to strain myself I took the car to the dealer to get the plugs changed.

It was really my fault for not asking "how much" before they began, but what a shock when the bill came to $189. They charged $12.98 for each plug (It's probably less than two bucks for the same plugs at any parts house), and a whopping $138 for labor. It did take them about an hour to do the job, so I know it was not easy, but still this seems like a lot. And they did wash the car for free and give me a free cup of coffee, but still....

I'm wondering if others here have had this done and how much it cost them, and if others here feel the charge is excessive? And in case you are wondering, the dealer is Singer Subaru in Plaistow, NH.

BTW, I did call an independent repair shop before calling the dealer, the independent shop told me I would need to leave the car all day, which would have been a problem for me. I think I should have tried a different repair shop!

Reply to
Larry Weil

Hi, Install iridium plugs. They last LONG time.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Likely what the dealer installed. $12.95 each is high but not highway rabbery. You have a pretty good idea what is involved labour-wise or you would have done it yourself - recent surgery or not.

Reply to
clare

I my area, iridium plugs run around $7 at the parts stores. The cheapo plugs run about $1.50. Yes, $13 per iridium plug is exorbitant but not robbery. Just how long did their plug jockey work to replace just the

4 plugs to earn them $138? With a minimum of a 1-hour charge, isn't $138/hour still a bit overly steep? According to Edmunds, the costs (in my area) should've been $15.20 for plugs and $44.10 for labor. Looks like the OP needs to find out what ELSE the shop did since he paid for something far and beyond the cost just to change his spark plugs. Maybe he should call a well-known reputable independent car shop and ask them for a phone quote on their cost to replace his spark plugs.

Just saw a "Pulstar" plug advertized at AutoZone for $50 per pair

Yikes! And ouch on the wallet! Wonder ifanyone has tried collecting on their 30-day money back guarantee.

Reply to
VanguardLH

Damned if someone hasn't resurrected the "capacitor" spark plug hoax and re-released it.

Back in the 50's/early 60's, they sold add-on capacitor doohickeys that sat on top of the plug. Someone gave me a set to play with, they measured about .04 uF (microfarads) on an old cap checker I had.

No measurable mpg difference, no feelable HP gains, possibly a tad bit easier starting in extremely cold weather (hard to measure, and that could have happened from just reconnecting the plug wires and scraping a little bit of corrosion off the connectors). This was on old points-type ignition.

About the only thing I can say is that it didn't make things worse.

Reply to
nobody >

Tony Hwang wrote in news:YviZl.24953$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe23.iad:

As far as I know, they put in regular copper plugs.

Reply to
Larry Weil

Like you can tell a difference from the cheap ones with the american gas. Find some crap gas in the US or Canada and we'll talk.

Reply to
Squat n'Dive