hydraulic tensioner

I need some advice from you Subaru mechanics, please. I recently had the timing belt replaced on my 98 Outback at 105K, at the Toyota Dealership were I bought the car used several years ago. 12 days and

850 miles later, the tensioner broke and the bolt on the idler pulley was sheared off. The belt was still good. (I was on an interstate, in a tunnel under the Chesapek Bay.) All eight valves were bent and the damage was $2600.00.

The Toyota dealer says nothing his mechanic did could have caused this failure. He says it was a coincidence that the tensioner broke at that time. I believe too that it could have been a coincidence, but that it is more likely that the mechanic did something wrong. Can you give me your opinion? What could the mechanic have done to cause this failure?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Reply to
fladmark

My guess is the tensoinor bolt was overtighten when the tensoinor was reinstalled. No way this can be proven.

Reply to
johninKY

The following is cut'n'paste from the DOHC engine manual, timing belt replacement procedure:

  1. AUTOMATIC BELT TENSION ADJUSTER
1) Visually check oil seals for leaks, and rod ends for abnormal wear or scratches. If necessary, replace automatic belt tension adjuster assembly.

CAUTION: Slight traces of oil at rod?s oil seal does not indicate a problem.

2) Check that the adjuster rod does not move when a pressure of 294 N (30 kg, 66 lb) is applied to it. This is to check adjuster rod stiffness. 3) If the adjuster rod is not stiff and moves freely when applying 294 N (30 kg, 66 lb), check it using the following procedures:

(1) Slowly press the adjuster rod down to the end surface of the cylinder. Repeat this motion 2 or 3 times.

(2) With the adjuster rod moved all the way up, apply a pressure of 294 N (30 kg, 66 lb) to it. Check adjuster rod stiffness.

(3) If the adjuster rod is not stiff and moves down, replace the automatic belt tension adjuster assembly with a new one.

CAUTION:

  • Always use a vertical type pressing tool to move the adjuster rod down.
  • Do not use a lateral type vise.
  • Push adjuster rod vertically.
  • Press-in the push adjuster rod gradually taking more than three minutes.
  • Do not allow press pressure to exceed 9,807 N (1,000 kg, 2,205 lb).
  • Press the adjuster rod as far as the end surface of the cylinder. Do not press the adjuster rod into the cylinder. Doing so may damage the cylinder.
4) Measure the extension of rod beyond the body. If it is not within specifications, replace with a new one.

####

Just off the top of my head, I'd say that a mechanic

*could* muck up the tensioner and either the dealer is not being truthful or doesn't know what he's talking about.

In any case, the tensioner should have been changed at the time the belt was changed.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
Edward Hayes