Ice and snow collecting in wheel wells

I have a '07 Outback. For a car that is supposed to go everywhere through everything, I've never had a car collect so much ice and snow in the wheel wells. Even my old Subie wasn't this bad. Any solutions or preventions? There's just enough room in there for the tire to spin -- sometimes. Otherwise it makes some very interesting noises when driving.

Thanks.

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

It depends far more on the weather/road/snow/slush/temperature than the car. Some years my Subaru wheel wells get really clogged up, other years they don't. This year was really bad here in BC.

Reply to
eachcornerpulling

Year doesn't matter. unless its a year for alot of sticky snow. Even american trucks with no use for wheel wells trying to kill us all gets some build up. Those times get all the subes as well. Filling them in with bigger wheels is not a bad thing. Grinding away at a build up is a fast build up to be grinding. Chunks falling off of wheel wells not filled in really suck for people behind the chunk dropping bomber. In fact, I am putting 16's on my old sube for this. The 13's have a whole lot of wheel well space to build bombs up.

Reply to
bgd

My 07 Forester had the same problem this winter. I have never had a car collect so much ice before. I thought I broke a shock the car made so much noise. Gas milage was down almost 4 mpg with all the added weight.

Reply to
vjc

I have heard of folks cleaning the wheel wells with a pressure spray at the car wash, letting it dry completely, and spraying the plastic wheel well liner with one of the following: silicon spray, spray wax, or even something like "PAM" in there to make the surface slicker. Supposedly it stops the ice/snow from sticking. Haven't tried it though.

Reply to
QX

They all will, given the right combination of slop and low temperature. Your best bet is to frequent the high pressure car wash, or use a home pressure-washer and hot water, or a Hotsy if you're fortunate enough to have access to one. Get it _before_ it becomes jammed tight, and it shouldn't take heroic efforts to keep things cleaned up. I had to take an ice axe to my GL after our last ice rally-cross event, but that's hardly the cars fault . . . That old axe was a popular tool that afternoon :-)

ByeBye! S.

Gosh, I usually just swear at my car.

:-)

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

Well, yea; there was a fair bit of _that_ when the poor ol' thing absolutely refused to move from where I'd parked it after coming off the ice from my final run . . .

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

When it really builds up, it's like having the brakes on all the time.

Reply to
Sheldon