information about snowboard racks

Hello,

I just bought a 2004 WRX Wagon and will be picking it up soon. Yay! :) It is equipped with the side bars (i'm not quite sure how to call them), and so I'm not looking for a snowboard rack. I see Yakima being mentionned quite often, and they seem to have neat racks.

Are they good quality? Do fellow subaru owners recommend them? Also, I'm in vancouver and there's a lot of car theft here. Can these really be locked to the side bars? Their web site says so, but it's not clear whether this requires equipement or not.

Thanks, spip

Reply to
spipyeah

^^^

Naturally, I meant "and so I'm NOW looking for a snowboard rack".

:)

Reply to
spipyeah

Yakima is a good rack. The other premium brand in Thule. Yakima makes the factory racks for the US market, so their crossbars fit right on.

They will lock to the car, if you buy the optional lock cores. Get a 6 or

8 pack set of cores, and the same key (SKS) will lock your snowboard, bicycle, whatever you're hauling to the rack. They have a cable that uses the same key for things like kayaks, that don't use locking brackets. They have a good website, (yakima.com) where you can figure out just what parts you want.

Steve

spipyeah wrote:

-- remove "SPAM_TRAP_" to reply directly

Reply to
steve ball

Yakima and Thule accessories will now fit each other's crossbars.

I sell both brands at a bicycle shop.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

I have a '02 WRX Sedan, I am looking to put on a Thule snowboard rack also. I was wondering if buying all the Thule parts does it interfer with the door window at all? I heard that you have to be carefull when closing the door so as not to break the glass, is this true?

Reply to
Patrick F. Clarin

Agreed. Just be careful with the rear wing on the WRX wagon. Make sure you can open the tailgate without hitting the rack or board.

I had to shorten my Yakima Steelhead bike rails about an inch for the wing to clear. May not be a problem with just a snowboard.

Reply to
John