Intermittent windshield wipers

I'm very happy with the '01 OBW I've had for three months now, but I wish the windshield wiper had more than one intermittent speed. If Eskimos have 28 words for snow, we in the Pacific Northwest should have as many words for rain, and a range of intermittent speeds would be nice.

I just drove an '04 Forester, and it had five or six intermittent speeds. I'd like to get that control (rotating ring on the wiper control stalk to the right of the steering wheel) added to my '01. New wiper motors might also be required.

Anyone know off the top how expensive such a modification would be? Thanks,

Reply to
John Rethorst

Years ago, my dad had a dash mounted wiper delay. They were about $5 at Pep Boys, (like Shucks). Not a factory look, but you don't have to tear the steering column apart.

It's just a timer on the switch. The motor has nothing to do with it. The '04 OBW has the intermittent switch standard. You could check with your dealer about compatibility with the '01, there may be a different wiper relay needed. Or maybe it just won't fit.

Personally, It drives me nuts that you roll the control down for a longer delay (slower wiper speed). I think you should roll the control down for a faster wiper speed, since you pull it down for wipers, and down further for faster wipers.

Steve

John Rethorst wrote:

-- remove "SPAM_TRAP_" to reply directly

Reply to
steve ball

We had a '98 Forester S with only one intermittent wiper speed which was one of my few gripes about the car. All those other features and only one intermittent wiper speed. Stupid.

Our fix was to trade it in on a '04 Forester XS which has variable speeds . Total net cost of the "modification" was $18,000 after trade-in. OK, OK, there were a few other minor reasons for the trade.

Woody; 95FXDS

Reply to
Woody

My '02 has the multi-speed intermittent wipers, and it looks like a changeout of the lever for the "newer" style one. I believe the timer mechanism is part of the switch/lever combo.

On the same note, I would REALLY like the ability to use my rear wiper in a continuous mode, instead of it always being intermittent. Anyone have any thoughts on that modification?

-Kurt

John Rethorst wrote:

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

I went to my dealer (Dewey Griffin in Bellingham WA, apparently a good shop although as I say I'm new to Subarus). The service manager thought the mod would require extensive work.

Reply to
John Rethorst

Have you considered something like an automatic wiper control?

A little pricey though it's still probably cheaper than retrofitting with Subaru parts.

JC Whitney has 2 models for less than $20.00

ZZ

I wonder if the computer module has something to do with the intermittent wipers, or there is wiring missing in the harnesses.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge