Kelly Springfield belt - 1988 GL Wagon 4WD

Hello all, I have and '88 GL wagon. I recently got cheap belts at AutoZone to replace the front accesory belts. I got the correct belts for the options, which are power steerign and A/C. The front-most belt fit OK, but the one behind it would not fit over the tensioner (fully retracted) and I did not want to force it excessively. I probably spent over an hour trying every which way to get it on without damaging it. So I brought it back to AZ. The belt was verified to be the right number. I compared it to a couple others of the same brand and they were the same. AZ also carried a $12.99 Good Year(compared to something like $3.99 for the KS). This belt was maybe 3/16" longer, just the extra I needed. Rather than get sucked into getting upcharged, I took my money elsewhere and got a belt at a local CarQuest. This belt was on in seconds, it was the perfect size. Has anyone else had this problem with the Kelly Springfield belts being a hair too small?

Reply to
Aron

Hi,

I haven't used K-S belts, but this is not an unheard of problem in my automotive adventures over the years with a variety of cars and brands of belts. What I've done in the past is have the guys at the parts store look in their book for the next size up (or sometimes down) in the same brand belt and try it. Then if it works, I write the number in MY book, and ask for it next time. Usually seems to work for me, and since you were only 3/16" or so from a fit, there should be enough adjustment to handle the next size. Another option is to take your used belts to the shop--they all used to have belt measuring devices. Don't know if they still do since so many are just chain stores now.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright