Dayco belts any good?

Hi,

I had to get my steering gearbox replaced, as there was too much play in the center (83 MB 300D, 222k miles). My mechanic put a dayco top cog belt on it. Looked like a good belt, and I read on their website that the top cog design keeps them running cooler and keeps them more flexible. However, other places Ive read that especially these german cars like to have a thicker belt on them, or else theyll go early and squeal early too. I like the design idea, and apparently dayco has been doing it a long time. However, I dont know anything about the company or the actual quality of belts that they make (Ive only ever used continental or OEM on my cars before). So Id like any input that anyone might have.

Thanks,

JMH

Reply to
JMH

bob c

I haven't had any problems with mine. I think all the junk about running cooler is mostly bunk, however. My guess is that the real reason they're thinner is to save on rubber.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I'm no expert, but I read that the thinner rubber makes the belt last longer because it flexes more easily and generates less heat, and the cogs don't hurt the strength because all the tension is carried by the nylon threads, yet the cogs give the belt "traction" against the pulleys.

But why does Dayco put the cogs on top (

) rather than on bottom (
), where I would think they could be bigger and allow for more flex?

The last time I bought a belt at AutoZone, they wanted $9 for a Kelly-Springfield (by Goodyear) but $27-30 for Goodyear or Gates brand. What's the difference in quality?

Reply to
larrymoencurly

I have used Dayco Top Cog's on my Ford. I do think that the top cog design making them run cooler is a load of horsecrap. I use them because they are fine quality and cost no more than any other belt, and the auto parts store I use carries mostly these in stock.

Get familiar with what proper wear patterns on a V belt look like.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I know nothing of Kelly-Springfield, but for 1/3 the cost of well-known name brands, I'd steer clear. There are belts and hoses out there that don't have the nylon cords in them or use low-grade rubber. I bought some Trak Auto Road King belts and hoses, and they lasted about a year. The hose sprung a pinhole and the belt stretched so far it was no longer any good.

Reply to
hyundaitech