Civic Rear Seat Belt Problem

The rear belts in my 2002 5-Door Honda Civic get little use but when they do, passengers complain of being pulled tighter into their seats!

Both rear belts appear OK and can be pulled out slowly to allow the passenger to move about but after doing this a few times the belt locks and will only retract. The passenger gets less and less movement until they remove the belt - retract it fully - and start again.

I guess they need replacing (I presume trying to fix them is a safety no-no) but I thought I'd check with the experts here first. Just surprising both belts have the same problem.

Are belts from a scrapyard worth considering or do these fall in the same category as "Part worn" tyres?

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Sounds right for a lack of use scenario. The locking ball gets mucky, sticky or corroded and latches into the ratchet easier than it should.

Reply to
Conor