Lifting?

I have an '86 GL-10 Wagon and i heard that there are just some bolts to loosen to lift is about 6 inches? how is this done, and is it too hard? Thanks

Reply to
cale

I don't know for sure, but another owner of a vehicle of this vintage once told me there are bolts on the top of the shock absorber housings at the rear - access from inside the car: they sit on top of the mouldings over the top of the shock absorbers at either side of the cargo area. This is turned to wind the rear end up and down. I don't know if there are equivalent bolts for the front end.

Cheers Glenn

cale wrote:

Reply to
Glenn

"Glenn" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I believe he was thinking about the earlier models up through '84 and maybe '85. These had height adjusting bolts on the lower spring supports on the front struts and a rear torsion bar adjusting bolt accessable through a hole in the floor under the rear seat.

The down side to using these adjustments to increase the ground clearance is that you mess up the wheel alignment and put more stress on your CV joints. The "lift kits" some people install are more properly called "body lift kits". They're a set of longer bolts and blocks to install between the body and suspension. They increase the clearance between your tires and wheel wells allowing you to get more ground clearance by running larger tires.

The down side to this approach is that the larger tires cause your speedometer to read slow and raise the center of gravity messing up your cornering ability. The larger tires also require more torque to deliver the same acceleration as the smaller ones. The EA82 engine isn't exactly oozing gobs of horsepower to start with. By the time you mount a big set of "swampers" you'll have old diesel rabbits beating you in the quarter mile. :-)

Later, Joe

Reply to
Joe Kultgen