longevity of imprezas, legacies, and foresters

Can anyone tell me what is a reasonable expected lifetime for a well-cared for impreza, legacy, and forester, say from 1998, 99, or

00?

Thanks, David

Reply to
David

Depending on care I would say 200,000 miles isn't unrealistic. Our Legacy had over 180,000 miles on it when we traded it in. And it was used almost exclusively on a mail route. Now that's hard miles! For most folks that would take about ten years. I don't know a lot of people that hang on to a car for 10 years.

BlueSTi "Scary-Fast"

Reply to
BlueSTi

I have a '95 Impreza that just turned 217,000 miles. Engine still runs strong, auto tranny is starting to have issues. No major repairs done.. a few oil leaks but thats to be expected with those kind of miles.

Reply to
John Reece

I can't tell you about that model...BUT. I have an 86 GL owned since new, Driven in Northern Coastal British Columbia and now has 255,000km on it. It's still a daily driver for our son. Yeah it's had a clutch, 2 exhausts, 2 brake jobs, many tires, one timing belt (at 50,000km), the last ones been in there 205,000km! Never had any major engine work. It is starting to rust a bit though. Our second car is a 1990 Legacy wagon (only 165,000km) Runs very strong, original timing belt and clutch. Door locks are finicky. One brake job, One clutch job, One radiator re-core, No rust. Strong runner, I won't let it go. Our third car is a 2004 Forester, no problems yet except for a speaker buzz at loud volumes and the little floor mat hook thing didn't stay in place. As you can see, we are car-keepers. I generally hang on to a vehicle as long as it's doing what its supposed to do. Non of my subarus have EVER let me down.

And hey, I just bought a 4'x8' utility trailer to do the pick-up things,

2,300lb GVW, that's more than most pickups will haul.

From what people say, better than average I think. Currently driving a 1995 Legacy Brighton 5MT, runs and handles as good as new after 175,000km. Just replaced the battery, front rotors and a ball joint (worn down). Timing belt/water pump done at 96,000km as specified.

The VC in the center differential has worn out (it binds after lengthy highway driving) - but it doesn't have to be fixed so I'm not going to bother.

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Based on my observations, 200,000 miles is the generally accepted *minimum* lifespan for any Subaru. There was a time when I thought that the higher complexity of the newer engines would lead to more early failures, but that doens't seem to be the case. Many Subarus from the last few years of the

90s are approaching or exceeding the 200k mark, mine included. At just shy of 172k, the only engine concern is a small (but manageable) oil leak. I've seen other Subaru odometers with over 400k on them.

-Matt

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

I have a '99 Legacy outback with 103k miles on the clock. Other than the suspension getting a little soft, and the headlights a little hazy, it's just like new. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't make it to 200k.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
A Doc

1997 Outback Sport (Impreza body) with 186,000 miles on it, running fine.
Reply to
David Silbey

How long did your first clutch last? I was hell on clutches in my youth, usually getting about 40k miles out of them in my Mustang and Datsun. I've been very pleased to make it to 103k miles on the Subaru with it still going strong.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

the orginal clutch was replaced in 2002. with about 125km on it, but it had problems for about a year prior. The brakes were changed all around at about

100K and i just replaced the orig> > ive got a 94 impreza 5 speed. 190km, second clutch, secon set of brakes, new
Reply to
A Doc

Another data point:

Rear wheel bear> the orginal clutch was replaced in 2002. with about 125km on it, but

Reply to
Dominic Richens

1999 Subaru Outback Wgn. -

At 72,000 Catalytic Converters bad...Replaced under warrantee (80,000) At 118,000 Blown Head Gasket...No warning, no warrantee...$2000+ to repair...And looking on the internet, this seems to be somewhat common for the 2.5l DOHC engine.

Engine was maintained properly...Never expected a problem like this at

120,000.
Reply to
SpongeBob

My '00 Outback needed new clutch at 12000 mi. The '02 WRX has done better than 45,000 on the original clutch, but a new front brake rotor and a high pressure a/c hose was needed at 39,000. I have run other makes up over 100K mi without having to replace those items. The wors thing about the later model Subarus is the paint, which chips about 10 times worse than any other car I have owned. I had driven an Infiniti Q45 on the same stretch of freeway in my regular commute for 11 years with only a fraction of the chips I have showing on my WRX in a fifth of that time. Overall though my Q45 needed a new motor in 12,0000 mi and transmissions at 37,000 and again at 50,000 along with power window mechanisms on a regular basis. I guess you have to look at the overall picture!

Reply to
Paul Harding

Reply to
Edward Hayes

My 1999 Forrester has about 130K on it , I also need a new overhead clock but can't seem to find one except at the dealer. Is that where you found it or somewhere else ?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerseyj

Reply to