My NEGATIVE Sub. buying experience

I decided I wanted a 2004 Forester, base model, AT, RED, with no options except the center armrest extension, at invoice price minus the rebate (~19,600.) I went to the dealer I'd been to a few times before. Saturday, 7/31, last day of the month. Four PM, almost closing time.

Well, the REDs were all gone :-( Oh well, it's just a color, right. So I went for a green one, not really sure I like the color that much, but it's just a color, right?

And the two green ones both have about $400 of option. Well, one option was the armrest, which I was going to get anyway.

Well, the salesman gets me to go up $100, and the manager gets another $100 out of me. My 19,600 is now 20,100. Well, 200 over invoice isn't bad.

They offer me $4700 on my old car ('99 Nissan Altime 58,000 miles) which works out to about $5000 with the sales tax advantage. I could have done it, quick and dirty, but I decide a friend or a stranger will certainly give me as much or more.

The sale goes through reasonably, businesslike, can't complain. Drive the Forester home. As happy as _I_ can be with a purchase, though I realize I _really_ wanted a RED car. Oh well, just a color, right? And now I have two cars, which I need like a hole in the head.

Seven PM. Ride my bicycle back to dealer to retrieve my Altima. Good exercise, over 12 miles. Home around sunset, decide to go to Ribfest. I ride my 2 week old Honda over to my buddy's place, see if he wants to go. He's tucked in, but we shoot the bull for a while. Television is showing dangerous thunderstorms coming in, near Chaska. After about 20 minutes I hear rain, so I high tail it. I've got less than 3 miles to go on my motorcycles, but the HEAVENS HAVE OPENED UP! After about 1/2 mile I stop under a tree, a little shelter from the HAIL. At least the hail is small, ~ 1 cm. I try to keep going, but I can't see through my wet steamy glasses, and I'm DRENCHED. Stop at a gas station for a minute, but you know how it is? Sometimes it rains for an hour, sometimes is stops after 5 minutes. I push on the last mile to my home. As I drive up the incline of my alley, the water is pouring out, maybe 3 inches deep! Get it in the garage. Dry it off. Don't see any hail damage, but I can't tell exactly in my dim garage. I'm happy I don't really see any hail in my neighborhood. The cars, both parked outside, should be okay.

Today I get up, and there's a lot of downed foliage. Leaves everywhere: not a good sign. Cars look okay, but covered with leaves. I hose them off, and oh yeah, there's hail damage :-(

So that's my story. I didn't get the color I wanted, I paid more than I wanted, I ended up with one more car than I needed, within 4 hours I had hail damage to both vehicle, maybe all three.

I know none of this is Subaru's fault. Mostly my own fault. I just needed to get it off my chest. I hope the roof is okay :-\

Reply to
P T

Yes, hail damage sucks. But have you ever bought a car for the invoice price? I consider 2-3% over a good deal, given the sticker price is usually

10-15% over. And some people pay that, although I imagine fewer and fewer with all the info available on the internet...we got our 4Runner and WRX for 3%.
Reply to
BSackamano

Did you buy a Forester, or a Honda?

Reply to
CompUser

Yep. None of it's Subaru's fault -- hope you feel better

Reply to
lee

Sounds like a bad week! I know how I would feel... I had something similar happen when I bought my very first NEW car. It was a 1990 Honda Civic. I had driven over to a relatives house for dinner. My young nephew was getting out of his folks van. When he slid the side door open it hit the hood on the Civic square in the middle causing a large gouge and dent. I about had an accident in my pants! Then, I thought, "Oh, well, I can stop worrying about that first scratch!. Somehow the first one is the worse.

BlueSTi "Scary-Fast"

Reply to
BlueSTi

just to make you feel better my subbie got rear ended and broke into on the same day =(

"P T" ??? news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3136.bay.webtv.net ???...

Reply to
foxmon

Which happened first, out of curiosity?

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

and you relate all that to a "NEGATIVE Sub. buying experience"?

that's a little ridiculous. looks more like a lot of bad decisions you made added up to one bad day.

Reply to
Archie

Your correct....buying a Subaru / FHI product is a TRUE waste of money. (.....and a very foolish one at that!) Subaru / FHI = Overrated junk cars.

Reply to
Vernacular? That's a derby!

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I agree. If I spent all my time complaining about cars I don't like in their respective groups, I'd never get anything productive done.

Reply to
Henry Paul