need new tires

Got a flat on the way to work yesterday. I pulled up to an intersection and as far as I know it was fine. Pulled away and I heard the rubbing. There was a gas station a couple hundred yards ahead, so I drove it up and pulled off. It had a fairly large bolt smack dab in the center of the tread, leaving a fairly large hole. The tires were bought and installed in July '02, and only have about 10,000 miles on them. The dealer where I bought the tires said they won't honor the roadhazard warrenty because they said I drove on the sidewalls, and tried to sell me a new set of tires for $300. I'm not very happy about that, and am going to take it up with them again. But I have a couple of questions.

The tires were rated for 40,000 miles, but they said they were dry rotted and ought to be replaced anyway. How long should a tire last, disregarding miles?

How much play do I have in the diameter of each tire before it becomes to much for the diffs? Even if they would replace the tire, would I then have to replace all of them anyway?

How much damage might I have done by driving, say, 15 miles on a 9 year old, pristine (never seen the light of day) space saver spare? I did pump it up to the requested 60 lbs, but it would be full diameter, right?

Tonyrama '95 Outback

Reply to
tonyrama

You need to speak to a manager where you got the tires. Sounds like the tire was irreparable BEFORE you drove on the sidewalls - making their position indefensible. Threaten to call the BBB and any local consumer affairs folks with TV,radio,newspaper if you have to. Crazy.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

t> Got a flat on the way to work yesterday. I pulled up to an intersection and

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

disregarding

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Are they firestones? Just curious. That place had a long history of ripping people off and not honoring warranty's.

Once my old man had a big ole bubble the side of a brick on the side of a brand new firestone. They wouldn't warranty it, wanted to sell him a new tire.

So he stood outside the store with 1000 photocopies with a picture of the tire, and Firestones lack of commitment to their warranty ie fraud.

He handed out 500 of them before he finally got a tap on the shoulder and a new firestone.

Thats been a long time back, and before the bridgestone era.

Short of filing a claim in small claims court (the best answer with the best and cheapest chance of results) consider using the 'true story handout method'

nate

02 Outback Wagon MT5 28.6k
Reply to
uglymoney

uh, you got them less than 2 years ago, and they are dry rotted???

someone is playing you for a fool, that has more money than brains.

Reply to
Mark Hoffman

I can assure you that is not the case. Even if I do have to end up buying a new set of tires, it won't be from them. Tonyrama

Reply to
tonyrama

A couple of points, all IMHO.

If you only drove a couple of hundred yards, that seems reasonable distance to safely slow and remove yourself from the flow of traffic on a freeway, so I would argue that driving on the sidewall for a short distance is a reasonable expectation on sudden tire failure.

If the tires actually have dry rot, it sounds like they sold you old stock in the first place, or they are defective. Either way someone else should be putting some money on the table. Get a second opinion if you can.

Check with a dealer on the diameter variation and if needed, maybe get the new tire shaved down. If all the tires are defective its a non issue though.

Good Luck F.Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

More 1/4 inch in circumference difference, for the differential issue. Also, you should pull the AWD fuse when using the spare. This forces the car into FWD, and avoids the differntial problem. See your owner's manual. All of this information is in there.

Reply to
Alan

Um - you insert a fuse (spare 15a IIRC) to force FWD.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Alan wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Well, I've been driving my Miata, newly out of hiding for the summer, instead of the Outback. That'll give me some time to think about whether or not I should get a whole new set or not. I only drove it back home from work on the spare. Tonyrama

disregarding

Reply to
tonyrama