netural safety switch

Does anyone have advice on how to bypas a neutral safety switch on a 93 Impreza with a manual tranny? As I can tell, it is a black box on the top part of the brake pedal and no way to bypass it.

Thanks

-S

Reply to
Spirit

Why do you need to bypass? ...it's more likely associated with the clutch pedal tho...you might be looking at something for the cruise control there.

Steve

Reply to
CompUser

I don't think there is such a thing. There's a switch that's depressed when the clutch pedal is pushed all the way home. Is that what you're thinking of?

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel

That's the switch I'm talking about. I think the switch has gone south, so without it closing when the clutch pedal is depressed, there is no signal that the clutch is being depressed therefore when you turn the ignition, nothing happens.

The odd thing is that when I crossed the two posts on the starter it did not engage, however when I had it tested at the local auto parts store, it worked just fine and got about 110 volts, which makes me believe the clutch switch or neutral safety switch, as some refer to it, has gone south.

~S

Reply to
Spirit

Why do you need to bypass?

I need to bypass it to verify that it causes the car not to start when the clutch pedal is depressed.

you might be looking at something for the cruise control there.

My '93 doesn't have cruise control.

~S

Reply to
Spirit

Reply to
Julian Serles

Hi, If your dont hear any clicks (either from the starter's solenoid or the starter's relay (under the dash) it's probably the clutch pedal switch that is defective. I bypassed mine on a 96 Legacy manual. It should be about the same with your car. There are two wires connected to that switch. Disconnet those wires (push connector) and either bridge the two female with a short piece of wire with two male connectors at each end (leaves the option to revert to clutch pedal switch later on) or cut the two wires and solder or crimp them together (In effect, the clutch pedal switch put's the starter relay - under dash probably to the left of the steering column - to ground. I still push the clutch pedal to the floor before starting the engine, but it's not necessary anymore. Hope this is not too late to help. Good luck! Gilles, Montreal

Reply to
Gilles Gour

It's probably better for your starter if you do, so it doesn't have to crank half of the transmission too (esp in winter).

Reply to
Dominic Richens
110 Volts!?! I'd find another place that knows how to use a multi-meter!
Reply to
Skweezieweezie

I've never examined one of these, but I assume it's a switch wired in line with the starter relay (low voltage side), and when closed (clutch pedal depressed), allows current to flow, thus activating the starter relay.

If this is the case, wire around the (potentially) faulty switch and see if the starter'll engage.

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel

I never seen such a thing. All of the cars I've owned would start "in gear" so long as the clutch was depressed all the way. Is this a Subaru you're speaking of?

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel

Almost all new cars seem to do this now... the few left you can still get with a manual transmission, anyway. *grumble*grumble*

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

The switch will either be normally open or normally closed. Cut one of the leads (leave some wire before the switch!) and see what happens. If that doesn't work, splice it to the other lead and see what happens. Or do this in reverse. Short it first using tap-in connectors and if that doesn't work then cut one lead.

You could trace it with a meter instead, but if you don't care about disabling the switch for future use just in case that ISN'T the problem now, it might be easier just to bypass it.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan