New car from Subaru?

Any thoughts as to what this could be:

Steve

Reply to
Steve Jones

I think the new Impreza. Can't wait to see if they offer a 2-door hatch or coupe.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

Reply to
Tcassette

the introduction of the diesel motor in the u.s.

Reply to
vjc

What was the name for the sports coupe they had? SVX?

The WRX, STI, or impreza have not been dead.

Steve J> Any thoughts as to what this could be:

Reply to
AS

'a legend will be reborn'

- must be a new Justy :) (rather than a rebadged Suzuki)

Reply to
cobs

The new Justy will be a rebadged Daihatsu :(

Reply to
Steu851

it is time to be reborn - just read the comparo in C&D: WRX was beaten up even by Nissan Sentra :-(

Reply to
alf

C&D is just a crappy industry blow horn anyway. It matters not.

I figure it'll be a rebirth of a "basic" like the GL or something, cheap like Borscht, strong like hammer

Reply to
Grolch

never the less Impreza got much stronger competition then 6 years ago.

Reply to
alf

A 3 main bearing 2 liter singly injected, double plenumed intake 6 spd dual range 4 by 4 raised roof GL with air conditioning and a sunroof,Lsd elcetronically controlled without a viscious coupling with a 150 mph limiter at.. uh oh... 2500 rpm in 6th chugging along like the sound of a screaming tornado, the only noise audible. Proving once and for all destructible guts of an engine have to fade away into the abyss of the forgotten past, with the only thing remembered is the gluttonous hoarding it could not handle from day one, unlike the legend of 105 years of true design preceeding it from aviation to automobiles, from 32cc to 5.9 liters. breaking records they didn't even document but among the men of truth.. The Gods on Earth in the flesh sustaining the silence to avoid a war of epic proportions. And last but not the least: appealing to a heterosexual man who gets his car dirty and breaks things.

If that is what it is.. I will even learn a second language called japanese just to get closer to it.

-bgd

Reply to
bgd

Supposedly a new design 2.5 liter engine is coming out. Chances are it'll have some extra ponies to help reclaim good standing.

Personally, I don't care much for the WRX, my 2000 Impreza coupe with 2.2L engine is one heck of a car. Reliable, efficient, yet fun to drive, small on the outside, but comfortable inside, was affordable, and is fairly strong too. Can't think of a better commuter car. I live in the Sierras so AWD is almost indispensable. A 2-door hatch could add a lot of practicality.

The headgasket debacle with the current 2.5l makes me hesitant to trade-in for another Subaru. The AWD Suzuki Aerio, SX4, or AWD Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe commuter tinboxes just don't cut it, so I am kinda really counting on the new Impreza.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

??? If anything lacking in the Impreza it's NOT the engine. Heck, the engine in the WRX is the detuned powerplant from STI. It was the engine of the year in 2005 or 2006. The problem is that aside from that THE REST of the car sucks the awesome awd notwithstanding.

Yes, it does not have the same problem with the throttle lag as 2.5 has. The issue with the base turboless 2.5 is not that there are not enough ponies or ft.lbs. The problem is that they are not easily accessible. Geez, I thought at least on this group people would forget about the kindergarden game of more hp! More! We want more! WRX with it's 230-240 something hp/ft.lbs blows the doors on the Mazdaspeed 3 with 300 hp claimed because Mazda lo and behold learned from Detroit: you want more hp? Sure, you morons, we'll rob you in the rest of the powertrain. Speaking of powertrain: WRX puts the power down thru 3 wheels and Mazdaspeed 3 thru 2. Despite this Mazdaspeed 3 beat WRX in the C&D comparo. Was not because of the straight line accelaration for sure, because that's where WRX rules. It did because it is MORE FUN TO DRIVE. So I really, really hope that what FHI was fixing was NOT the engine.

Reply to
isquat

I don't own a WRX but have always been under the impression that its' recipe for success was simple, AWD + plenty of horsepower in a relatively light weight inexpensive package.

I suspect Subaru isn't going to change that recipe much and that is why I wrote "chances are it'll have some extra ponies to help reclaim good standing."

We'll see in a few days.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.