New Radio

I'm kind of stumped on this problem. I recently installed a Pioneer DEH-1700 CD player in my 1991 Legacy Wagon. I cut off the old connecters and spliced on the new connector. I did not use several wires, though. I did not use a red/yellow (which I believe controlled the backlight brightness, which is no longer necessary), a green/black (which controlled the power antennae), a solid green wire, and a blue/yellow wire. I'm not sure what the purpose of those wires was. The stereo worked fine for a day, but the first time I tried to turn on my dash lights, I blew a fuse. I found the short and fixed it, but I no longer get any output from the speakers. The CD player is playing and I've switched out the actual player with another new one, but no sound comes out of them. I get a tiny "pop" of static when I turn on the car, so it sounds like power is going through system, but no sound gets to the speakers. I tested out the wiring and there is a complete circuit between the speakers and the plug, but I'm not sure what could be wrong now. I'm not that knowledgable with car audio, so I'm asking if anyone know what could cause my speakers to suddenly stop working? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
brassmachine

While not for your radio this list may give you an idea of radio design thinking

Gray (If available) - Preamp Output - Connect to amplifier input. Blue - Remote Turn-On - Connect to amplifier or power antenna. Insulate if not used. Black - Ground Red - Accessory - Connect to existing ignition circuit or switched 12 volt source. Yellow - Memory - Connect to battery circuit or constant 12 volt source. Right Front - Gray/Black (-) / Gray (+) Right Rear - Violet/Black (-) / Violet (+) Left Front - White/Black (-) / White (+) Left Rear - Green/Black (-) / Green (+)

This link may be of assistance

Bugalugs

Yeah, I think I've got the necessary wires in the right places, I'm just really confused about the speakers not working. If I hook up a 9v battery to the speakers through the plug, they pop like it's a good connection, but when I plug the radio in, no sound comes out.

Reply to
brassmachine

Sad to say, it sounds like you have blown the output stage of the amplifier somehow - maybe the short circuit put some current into the wrong place. Might be a job for a radio repairman.

Dave

Reply to
Coggo

Check to ensure none of the speaker wires are shorted to ground. Many modern radios will not tolerate that.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

One thing you may wish to check. On the earlier Soobies, the rear speakers shared a common "-" lead. (Only the rears; fronts had 2 wires per speaker as normal) This will definitely cause problems with a newer stereo (they mostly use a "bridged" amplifier configuration); probably the amplifiers will interpret that common "-" as a short circuit, and go into a shutdown mode. I don't know when Subaru got rid of this (er, um) unusual wiring arrangement, but it is at least possible that it survived into the early '90s; the symptoms would seem to point in that direction, anyway.

Disconnect the rear speakers at the your splice and see if that doesn't make a difference. If that works, you'll need to run separate speaker wires to the back.

Let me know if this gets you going again.

ByeBye! S.