New Tires for '02 Forester S - ?Size?

I have a 2002 Forester and soon need to replace the original Yokohama Geolanders 215/60/16. I would like to go with a slightly wider and shorter tire like 225/55/16. I don't need winter tires just all-seasons.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Cost is less of a priority than performance, durability, and noise. The Yokohama's weren't bad overall but didn't last very long in my book (25000+ miles).

Any cautions about changing the size, other than speedometer readings, would also be appreciated. It doesn't seem like a BIG size change and the car seems to have ample wheel wells. However, I'm obviously no expert.

Thanks, Jamie

Reply to
RankAndFile

To keep your speedometer accurate you need to make sure the overall diameter of your tires remains within 1/4" of stock. You might want to talk with a tire store. Usually when you reduce the sidewall aspect ratio from 60 to 55 or 50, you need to increase the size of the rim. When going from nnn/60/16 to nnn/50/16 you would need to increase rim size by 1". This is called Plus sizing. Plus 1 would be 1" larger rims and nnn/50/16 tires, Plus 2 would be

2" larger rims & nnn/40/16 tires. If I were you I'd look for a better tire in the stock size instead of going with a different tire size. 215/60/16, you should be able to find some better on-road tires in this size. If you really want better on road performance I'd say go with 17" rims and nnn/50/16 tires.

Here's a link to Pep Boys' website that will show you how to calculate overall tire diameter by using the tire size #'s.

-T

That assumes it already is. I think all the japanese cars I've had have read fast. The one I just sold was especially bad: it read just over 10% too fast. All were checked with the correct tire size. My '03 Forester reads about 2MPH fast at 65MPH, and it's probably the most accurate I've checked.

Anyway it might be interesting to check speedometer accuracy before changing tire sizes. If it already reads a little fast, slightly bigger tires could actually improve the accuracy.

As far as clearance, the tightest spot I'm aware of is between the rear tire and the strut.

Reply to
David

A bit confusing to me. I guess I thought the diameter of the rim had to equal the diameter of the tire. Thanks, though. I'll probably end up taking your advice about getting a better tire of the same size.

Jamie

Reply to
RankAndFile

What's the best way to check your speedometer's accuracy? It does "seem" like I'm going slower than my speedometer reads.

actually improve the accuracy.

tire and the strut.

Reply to
RankAndFile

Most convenient, is go fairly straight & level, and use GPS. Setting the cruise, and timing yourself past several mile markers is probably good. I've only done it those two ways, but there are shops that will check it for you. Careful taking an AWD car in though: they better have all 4 wheels moving in their test setup. For example, don't put a sube in a 2-wheel dyno.

Reply to
David

Uh - it does. You can't mount a 16" tire on a 17" rim.

Plus 1/plus 2 is supposed to refer to going to a larger rim/tire

**combination** with approximately the same outside tire diameter.

You might be able to use a wider tire with the original rims, but I'd still worry about the tires scraping the wheel wells.

Reply to
y_p_w