New WRX One Expensive MF To Own

Got my 2012 WRX last year. It wasn't a few weeks until I had cracked the air dam on a high curb. One usually, on a regular car, just rolls up to a curb until the front wheels hit it, but this car has the air dam way out front, so the wheels can't lift it over obstacles before it contacts them. The air dam is 7.25" off the ground, not enough to clear all the common obstacles such as curbs, semi-truck "gators" laying in the lane of travel, etc.

Then, a couple months later, doing a U-turn on a dirt road high in some Arizona mountains, the air dam contacted a hill of dirt and was torn off. $1000.

After that was repaired, a couple more months passed, and another rise in a dirt road back in Virginia contacted the air dam. Another $1000.

I'm going driving back to Arizona, from Virginia, at the end of May. I'll probably do all the driving during the day, so I can see debris in the road, such as truck tire treads, dead animals, etc. and hope I can swerve. If I can't, it'll prolly be another $1000.

Not that the car hasn't had regular problems besides the air dam. It has.

A faulty brake light switch had been causing problems since about 2000 miles. It finally failed completely around 32,000 miles, so I took it in to the dealer, where it was throwing codes for the brake light switch, which was fixed, grudgingly, under warranty. Only took them 3 weeks to determine that they would fix it under warranty, order the part (why wasn't it in stock???) and schedule a repair.

The steering rack decided to start leaking around 20,000 miles. Again, a big hassle with the warranty. They made me pay $100 for that repair, that would have otherwise been $1200 - $1400.

Finally, since the warranty has expired, the traction control and hill-holder warming lights have illuminated on the dash. I took it to the AAA service center in Fredericksburg, Va., who said it was throwing codes for the "steering wheel angle sensor." The AAA mechanic said it was a 2 hour remove and replace for that sensor, as it is seriously buried in the steering column. Sooo... since I know how to control skids and hold hills, those 2 lights will be forever illuminated on my dash, because the AAA mechanic said it would likely be $600 - $1400 to get that fixed. Researching the internet, someone else paid $680 to get the SWAS replaced. Not happening.

With any luck, I _may_ be able to hold the air dam repairs down to 1 a year, but I typically drive about 35K miles a year, so that's hard. Have to treat it special, parking far short of the parking lot bumpers and curbs, and doing sudden swerves on the highway to keep from hitting anything in the lane of travel. People on I-10 in Texas probably wondered "WTF?" when I changed lanes in a heartbeat last month, to avoid the truck tire gator in the lane of travel, but it was really tall and big, and would have shattered the air dam.

Just so's you know, if you want one of these things, its likely not to be cheap. They break a lot, and the air dam is a threat to one's wallet.

Reply to
Dave Head

ummmmmm. No. Those high curbs are there for people too dumb to stop where they are supposed too. No car is designed to run into stuff on purpose. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Most cars have the clearance necessary to have the wheels stop at the little bumper placed there for that purpose. Not this one... careful...

Reply to
Dave Head

Every vehicle is different. I've never damaged the underparts of my 2006 MX-5 Mazda and the dam only clears the ground by 6.5" and is 12" in front of the tires. And yes, it has been driven over some non-Miata-friendly surfaces including old wagon roads. You just have to know what sticks out where and by how much and _never_ forget. My old Miata had even less clearance due to suspension modifications and, while I did occasionally contact something with the dam, it never experienced damage beyond a bit of scuffing. Is the WRX dam especially flimsy? (as well as expensive)

Reply to
John McGaw

Fewer and fewer can reach the curb with the front wheels without expensive body damage

Reply to
clare

Fewer and fewer drivers even notice the curb (or the pedstrians walking on the pavement after the curb!) thanks to more and more fools driving huge, unecessary SUVs. ;-)

Reply to
Your Name

I think the WRX dam is eggshell fragile. I've owned LOTS of cars over the last 50 years or so, and this is the 1st problem I've had along these lines. I've read where lots of other cars have such air dams, but are made of things that are flexible, and just bend out of the way and pop back. Not the WRX, quite obviously.

Reply to
Dave Head

What is it, a conspiracy to enrich body shop owners, or what?

Reply to
Dave Head

Nope, it's consumer demand. The kids want a car that looks like a race car. The companies are more than willing to give it to them if the kids are willing to pay.

Reply to
clare

Are "curb feelers" still made? They were big on Cadillacs in the 70's. Check eBay.

"Learn to drive your damn car" is what my Grandpa would have said to people who plow into stuff and then complain about the price to fix it. Scraping neighborhood speed bumps would be a valid complaint, not plowing into parking blocks or curbs. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Even bigger on 37-39 Chevies, Pontiacs, and Oldsmobiles!!

Reply to
clare

Yeah, I thought of that. Will have to check, although I'm not sure I want 'em protruding from the front of the car, as they would need to in order to work.

Yep. So far, I'm real good at backing off the parking bumpers, although I really shouldn't have to. Its "tall" objects, more than

7.25" tall that is, laying in the roadway that suddenly appear out from under the SUV in front of me, and I have about 3/4 of a second to miss it that has me worried.

Yep. I think I have the parking blocks corralled, but yeah, there's speed bumps, dead animals in the road, truck tire "gators" in the road, lotsa stuff in the road. And its not like they have to make it out of something that shatters, instead of either bending out of the way, or being tough enough not to be damaged by these things.

Reply to
Dave Head

Put me in the category of "kids" if you will -- my wife would probably agree with you -- but I love my WRX. I'm closer to 70 than to 60 now, but I grew up in the northeast with MGs, Triumphs and Austin-Healeys (not to mention AC Cobras!) and have visited race courses from Watkins Glen to the Long Beach Grand Prix.

I sold my red Mustang GT convertible with V-8 and 5-speed and kept the WRX (Premier edition, with factory performance package); the WRX was just so much more satisfying to drive.

I've watched as my neighbors have gradually migrated from numerous Subarus to Toyota Priuses to curb-bumping crew-cab 4x4 pickups over the years; I'll happily stick with my WRX. Who knows?: My next car might even be an STi.

"Call me irresponsible Call me unreliable Throw in undependable, too

"Do my foolish alibis bore you? Well, I'm not too clever, I I just adore you [You childish WRX, you!]

Reply to
Ben Jammin

Hi Dave

Are you sure your first name is not really Richard !!!!

Reply to
Illuminated

Speed costs $$$. How fast do you want to go? Well, apparentl,y in the rex you want to CRAWL to avoid damaging that precious air dam fhi have so thoughtfully provided for the cold air intake crowd.

Reply to
AD

Not just the poorly-designed air dam. Its the power steering rack failure, the brake light switch failure, the steering wheel angle sensor failure, and now it seems the original equipment battery may just be on the way out. Runs down in 30 - 45 minutes playing the radio. Used to work for several hours. I think its time for a new battery. The "good" battery at Batteries Plus is $234, and is a big hairy thing with 65 AH of capacity and 820 CCA. Nothing else on the market (that I can find) approaches that. Maybe I'll get to 45 minutes to an hour with that... But the car is comsuming $$$ for these nickel and dime things like it had 190,000 miles on it. At least I can install the battery myself, not like a $530 power steering pump that I had to have installed for another $300 on the old WRX that had the 190,000 miles on it.

Reply to
Dave Head

???????, 26 ???? 2013 ?., 17:56:45 UTC+2 ?????? ?????? Dave Head ???? ??:

I do not feel very different with 4" of ground clearance on my A4. If it's of any consolation S4 and RS4 sit lower yet. You get a "bitch to park" problem with just about anything that sits low. But it seems to be taken to exteme on wrx. Why won't you dump that p.o.s and get a brz instead? you hardly get any snow and ice in texas anyway

I get it. Not for my wallet. Thanks

Reply to
isquat

I'm in Virginia, just traversed Texas when driving to Tucson. We do get snow and ice, but not a lot. Still, I wouldn't drive it in this vehicle, as any snowdrift would likely break the air dam. Fortunately, my other vehicle is a Jeep Cherokee!

My next car is probably a 3 - 5 year old Caddy CTS-V. Broke the record at Nuremburgring, 0-60 in 3.9, AWD, my kinda car, just a bit expensive on gas. Will probably lease a Chevy Volt at the same time, and get off the hose for a lot of local driving to make up for it.

Reply to
Dave Head

have you given any thought to caddy ATS

Reply to