non starting 97 Legacy 2.5 4Cam

I have a 97 Legacy 2.5 4Cam that I have just replaced the head gaskets on. I did the work myself, as shop prices were too high.

Anyway, got the engine going and ran it for a couple of hundred miles and then it would not start due to a flat battery. Now it will not even turn the engine over or start at all, even with a fully charged battery. Not even a click on the starter motor.

I have checked all the electrical connections and all seems OK.

About 20 miles before the engine refused to start again, the engine check light came on, and then went off again. I do not have a fault code reader.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing the non starting of the engine

Tom

Reply to
Tom

It has to be something fairly basic, if you don't even hear the starter 'click'. Are you seeing 12V on both starter connections to the engine body? One leg should have 12V on it at all times. If not, be sure to check the check the ground connection to the engine or the battery connection. If you don't see the other 12V when starting, check fuses, links or you may need to trace it back to the ignition switch.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Considering it was soon after the engine work, I'd especially check connections that were disturbed to do the work. That's just about the right amount of time for something to work loose.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Don't know what you had to take off, but on my Impreza I had a similar problem after having the clutch changed. I even changed the ground cable, but the problem continued. Turned out the ground cable connects to a bigger plate also connected by only one bolt, on which the bolt had been left out a good half inch. When I connected the ground cable, it felt good and tight. It worked fine most of the time but sometimes didn't have a good enough connection to charge or start. I was baffled for 4 months after that clutch change.

Reply to
turkey