Odd Noise

Hello, I posted a little while back but am still searching . . I have was sounds like birds chirping or something coming from my front driver's side wheel. Very hard to reproduce it constantly and hard to explain. I called the closest Subaru service center (almost 5 hours away) and they said it didn't sound like CV but could possibly be some apparatus signaling brakes were going to need attention. To me it sounds like a scrape or whine and the pitch raises the faster the wheel spins. I am hoping someone can tell me what to look for as I am not near a dealer or service center. Looking through the wheel slots, I see brake pad and no visible damage to the front side of the rotor. If it is not a V joint . I am assuming brakes or possible wheel bearing(s) . is there a way to narrow down the possibilities to try to get the issue resolved? Thanks gain for your time. 1999 outback legacy wagon, 133k miles/

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Edward Hayes

thanks . .is there a way to verify it? just pull the whell and have a look at the pads?

Reply to
Phil

Is the sound there without the brakes applied? It sounds like a brake shoe might be dragging slightly on the rotor. All you have to do to inspect it is jack it up and take the wheel off. You can see the rotor, caliper and some of the brake shoe.

Reply to
oothlagre

yes it is there without the brake . .I will try to pull it as soon as the rain here stops for long enough . .thanks!

phil

Reply to
Phil