Oddest object found in a car.

The 401, 'eh'? Whereabouts?

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'm surprised he even bothered with a Volare!

Reply to
Hachiroku

The AMC Pacer would do the same thing. My roomate in school had one...

"Can I borrow the Pacer tonight?" "Heavy date, eh?" ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
Hachiroku

Waterloo from Oakville

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Oh. Only been out that way once, to Kitchener.

Reply to
Hachiroku

fluff blowing about with the heater fan in my Loyale... > investigation found a large nest of mice in a nook in the back of the > car.

Hi,

Is there something about Loyales and mice?

When I got my '90, it had been sitting for a while. I found a mouse nest (minus mouse) under the back seat. It took a bit of cleaning to get the smell out...

Then I started under the hood to see what was there, what wasn't. Previous owner had dropped the cap for the coolant reservoir and it got stuck between the tank and sheet metal. So rather than retrieve it, someone just put a piece of aluminum foil over the opening. Since I had to remove the tank to get to the cap, I turned it upside down to drain and clean it.

A piece of pink material came out that looked like faded electrical wire insulation. I pulled on it. POP! Out came the mouse I hadn't found--right there on the other end of the tail I was pulling! FWIW, ethylene glycol is apparently a decent preservative...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I wonder if there is something about coolant that mice like.

At my work, we parked a cube truck at a worksite for a couple of weeks as a storage shed and indoor working area. One day we went to move the truck to a different location and found a dead mouse on the passenger floor and a pool of coolant. The mouse chewed into the heater core. It must look like cool-aid to the mice!

Reply to
Chicobiker

Pets eat the stuff too. Apparently it's sweet to their taste.

-John O

Reply to
John O

Not just mice. Ethylene Glycol is SWEET and attracts many animals. It is also EXTREMEY poisonous.

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

My cars tend to sit for a while as I use public transport or the motorbike to go to work.

The last two acquired ants' nests; one of them moved house with me.

Reply to
ziggy99

ces of fluff blowing about with the heater fan in my Loyale... > investigati= on found a large nest of mice in a nook in the back of the > car.

I seem to get squirrels in my cars. If I let anything set for more then a month I will find nuts everywhere!

Reply to
coolate

Yeesh. Reminds me of one of my personal childhood traumas - used to live on a farm in Alberta, and it got reeeeally cold in the winters. We'd plug in the block heaters on all our vehicles.

One morning my mom started up the van, and we heard a really weird noise as she revved it up, which was accompanied by a fine grey fur exuding from the grill of the van.

One less cat to worry about feeding, I guess. ;(

Reply to
BD

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:47:33 -0400, BD wrote (in article ):

A friend told me this story of something that happened when he was living in Massachusetts. One morning he went out to drive to work, started the car and began backing up. He felt a thump so got out to investigate. Their cat had evidently been sleeping on top of a tire, and when the car moved the cat was thrown under the wheel.

It being the dead of winter, the ground was frozen so the cat couldn't be buried. He tossed it into the garbage can.

After the next garbage collection the cat was still in the can. A note pinned to its ear said "We don't take dead animals."

The ground being still frozen and spring a long time off, my friend put the dead cat in a paper bag, returned it to the garbage can, and all was well. That being Massachusetts, the cat was probably fed to pigs.

Reply to
John Varela

Hi,

Haven't had a squirrel IN the car (yet?) but one DID eat up a big chunk of a rear mudflap. Best I could figure looking at the damage was I'd hit a piece of fruit or something else "red, sweet and sticky" that got kicked up by the tire and he was munching on the plastic to get the "good stuff" out of it.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Okay, now that we've shifted from items found in purchased cars to animals destroyed under odd circumstances, I was once driving down the Bronx River Parkway towards NY when a duck decided to cross the road. It's flight path happened to intersect the trajectory of my 1971 Vega at bumper height. Saw him bounce, pulled over but couldn't find the duck, just an undamaged grill full of feathers. May be the only know case of a Vega surviving any sort of crash.

Reply to
suburboturbo