Once again with the Hill Holder

I have this thing disabled, by that meaning the cable is released and the valve held wide open, and yet it stall manages to lock up.

Is there any way to really disable it (I hate to because it's a neat feature) or get rid of it altogether? I have been driving a clutch long enough (almost 40 years) that I don't need it.

Or, is there a way to move the ball to the front of the valve, and THEN lock it in place?

Reply to
Hachiroku ハチロク

(found via Google search) You never identified you Subaru model and year. Maybe this method will work for you. Note the comment(s) about securing the cable after disconnecting it. If a tie wrap will work, you can buy metal wire ties at the hardware store. Don't use plastic ones if they are near a heat source, plus the metal ones are stronger (but their edges can cut into wiring so just use one to secure the cable).

Reply to
VanguardLH

It sounds like your calipers or brake pistons are sticking. I would jack up the car and see which wheels are locking up. Apply the brakes hard several times and see if you can get them to stick. As I recall, my Subaru's hill holder worked on the front brakes but it might be different on your model. If the 2 wheels that the system is connected to locks up then the problem could be the valve. I thought it was a spiffy system but that's probably because I had it adjusted the way I wanted to. Good luck!

Reply to
dsi1

Er...I did this a while ago. Totally disconnected. However, I think that when I stuck the spring, I left the valve OPEN, with the ball still rolling back and forth. Since the car was parked facing up a slight incline, I'm guessing the ball rolled up against the valve and again locked the brake.

I parked the car DOWNHILL, opened the valve fully and let it sit, hoping it moved the ball forward away from the valve, and then set the spring so the gate is CLOSED (I hope) thereby not allowing the ball to impede the flow of fluid ever again.

THe car is not on the road, I have a couple more things to do and looking at getting it on the road sometime near the end of August. Moving it from the back yerd to the garage was easier, but still sticky. However, they are also new brakes all the way around, and one set of pads was a real BITCH to put in. Come to think of it, I think it was...the....driver's side.....front....wheel.....

Hmmm......

(for those that don't have this feature, this is the brake that locks with the hillholder engaged...)

BTW, It's a '96 Legacy Outback.

Reply to
Hachiroku ハチロク

I spent some time adjusting it and it did make a difference. It was a LOT easier disengaging it than it had been before, but it's sticking. If I can get it working it is a nice feature! But I have been driving with a clutch since 1974, in the hills of Mass and Brattleboro VT (If you can drive with a clutch there you never need to prove yourself again...) so I don't really need it, but to have it working would be nice.

I'm thinking flushing the system completely might resolve the issue as well. Or, at least, the driver's side, anyway.

Reply to
Hachiroku ハチロク

You can adjust the release point if it's sticking. Forget about the specs. It's better to adjust the cable by testing it out on hills. Just loosen up the cable to the valve if the brakes are still set when the clutch is released.

Reply to
dsi1