2005 Escape automatic locks

Hola,

I just bought a 2005 Escape Limited, loaded. I thought mine had the autolock feature, but the autolock enable sequence doesn't work:

  • Close the doors and turn everything off.
  • Move the key to the RUN position.
  • Hit UNLOCK three times.
  • Move the key to the LOCK position.
  • Hit UNLOCK three times.
  • Move the key to the RUN position---horn chirps.
  • Hit UNLOCK once, then LOCK twice.

It's supposed to chirp once when autolock is disabled, or once with a longer beep when autolock is enabled, but I get nothing with it.

The 20-seconds-after-starting Power Lock Disable feature works (replace the last sequence by hitting LOCK twice), and I can adjust the delay time for the automatic headlights (which is *great*!), so I *must* have the autolock feature as well...

Is there a way to tell if I have autolock by the VIN?

TIA...

Reply to
JonnyCab®

Mine has the autolamp feature, but not autolock (don't think they had it in '02 except on the most expensive models). Check on your window sticker- it should list autolock if you have it. Is UNLOCK on the door, or is the manual referring to the remote? Are you doing the whole sequence within the specified time limit? Don't know if there is one for that, but the belt minder sequence has to be completely done in 60 seconds. And hey, there's always that friendly and knowledgeable sales person you bought it from! Maybe they can help (LOL). SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

Automatic lock/relock is not listed as a feature, but then it wasn't listed as a feature on my 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer, either, and *it* had them.

On the door. But I tried the remote, and it didn't work, either.

However, some other feature is toggling when I hit UNLOCK once, then LOCK three times (autolock is supposed to be two times). This three-time sequence isn't listed in the owner's manual, but it results in the same double-chirp or double-chirp plus a honk. I *think* it's to stop the hazard lights from flashing twice when the alarm is disarmed, but I haven't tried it to make sure.

I'm getting the shop manuals on DVD soon, so I'll probably figure it out. I may even disconnect the battery and try it over again. I'd like to do that anyway so the transmission can learn my driving style from the start, even though my Escape had only ten miles on it when I bought it.

Yup.

It's 30 seconds for this, but I've done it *well* under 30 seconds.

In all fairness, there are so many undocumented features on cars now that even a *knowledgeable* salesperson can't keep track of changes made, even within the model year.

Reply to
JonnyCab®