Orange Sludge In Coolant Resevoir

I recently performed the 30k maintenance on my 2002 OB 2.5l. Part of this service was the drain and refill of the radiator and coolant recovery bottle. The coolant drained from the radiator was nice and clean, but I noticed when I drained the recovery bottle that there was some orange sludge and a few chunks that settled at the bottom of the bottle. I removed it and cleaned it out real well, but I'm curious if anyone else noticed this. My main concern is that this is "normal" behaviour and not something I need to alert my dealer of.

Thanks!

-Kurt

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

Older 2.5 L engines (e.g. my '97) had *big* problems with head gaskets blowing and/or cracks in the block. These caused air bubbles in the coolant and consequently overheating on long trips. I don't think the 2002 has that problem -- but you never know.

To reply directly to me, replace all 'z' with 'a' in email address.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Be aware, there is a technical service bulletin/ recall on most of the 2.5 SOHC engines, to put a coolant conditioner in with every time you change the coolant, as well as in the car today.

Make sure to run the car for a minimum of 30 minutes with the conditioner with the heat on.

Marc Soloway Natick Subaru Sales

Reply to
Marc Soloway