OT?: Bump gaurd strip on the side of door

Hi, They are loose trying to fall off starting from an end. Is there any specific adhesive to firmly reattach this thing? What do I use? TIA

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I don't have that on any soob - but it was ALWAYS coming loose in warm/hot weather on a Ford van we had. I took it off.

if no luck here try;

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

3M double sided stick tape. How old of car?
Reply to
S.Hansen

Interesting web page!

Reply to
Hachiroku

3M has an adhesive specifically for that purpose. It lasts a long time.

This is the stuff I use. About $6 a tube. Stronger than snot!

Hachiroku

Hit the car store. They should have a Chemlock rubber-to-metal glue. That's what I used to reaffix my door seal rubber instead of having it always get ripped out when it got iced up in winter and someone just yanked open the car door. Of course, it doesn't prevent them from ripping the rubber seal itself but just keeps it from drooping away from the door and not sealing at all.

If they don't have the Chemlock stuff, see if they carry the 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (black to match).

However, neither of these is strong enough to pull back a distorted bumper strip. It it is pointing away from the body, it may be physically damaged (by collision or repeated heating which made it peel away). When you press it back against the door, does it spring back out? Is there a bent metal bracket embedded in the guard (that is bent out)? If so, you probably need some super-strong adhesive, like Hard As Nails or No More Nails (but you'll have to clamp the parts together since they take 24 hours to cure). Well, even those gel-type cyanoacrylate glues might work. However, before applying the glue, and if the bumper is permanently warped or the metal bracket bent, you'll have to peel it back a bit more so you can put a wedge underneath at the bend. Then use a heat gun to unwarp the rubber bumper while pressing back towards the door (be very careful to overly heat using the gun, and a hair dryer isn't hot enough), or bend the metal bracket back. Just be careful not to bend all the way back since you'll be left with a "bump" at the rebend point. You just want to get rid of most of the tension from the rubber warp or metal bend.

I'm not an expert in body repair. I know what gets by for me but I'm not into detailing or even keeping my car looking pristine. You might want to simply ask a body shop what they do (but you'll probably have to sneak an interview in with a mechanic rather than ask the order prep guy whose looking to make a sale).

Reply to
VanguardLH

Oops, should've read " careful to NOT overly heat using the gun".

Reply to
VanguardLH

X2. I used this on my Mk III Jetta - you always see those around with the rub strips dangling - and they worked great.

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
DJD58