'03 Corolla--why is the door seal rubber on the body instead of the door?

Why is the door seal rubber on the body instead of the door in the Corolla? The rubber on mine has worn through from getting in and out. I "fixed" it by covering the part that was worn with black duct tape, but I wonder why they chose to put it there to begin with.

Reply to
Adam Corolla

The door seal is on the body on a lot of Toyotas. My guess as to the reason it is on the body instead of the door is that it is more likely to snag on something if it is on the door.

Reply to
Ray O

Toyota somehow decided that it would be a good idea to immitate 1980s GM design practice. :(

I remember the driver side door seal on Dad's Chevy getting chewed up at the bottom like that. That didn't happen on the passenger side because mom was more careful.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Did Dad have a larger hind end? ;-)

Reply to
Adam Corolla

I did see a car the other day, though that had three layers - a hard outer "rim" of rubber and a softer one on the door, then one on the inner. The worst of all, though, is the single strip on the frame. Hope your door stays perfectly tight and your windows seal properly(you know the type - the window rolls up into the foam/rubber part to make the upper seal.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I find it interesting how manufacturers cannot seem to make up their mind on little details like this. It is like every time they go to design a new car it is the first car they ever designed and they are starting from scratch.

Reply to
Art