Out of Warranty Replacement

I took my '03 Outback to the dealer for an oil change and state inspection. The bulb in the right rear tail light was burned out. It turned out that the lens assembly was leaking and had water in it. They said this would not pass inspection. The only thing they could do was to replace the unit for, ahem, $250 plus labor! Ouch! This would be an "out-of-warrenty" replacement.

OK, so I had to have the car inspected as it is near the end of the month and due. Press on!

I asked for the old piece so I could take it home an examine it. They gave me the piece and the service manager and I looked at it. It did have a lot of water in it. We couldn't find anything wrong with it; there was no damage. It looked there might be a lack of sealant.

I then complained that either the unit was defective for it had been improperly installed. The manager agreed with me that this is not an item that is consumable like tires, or lamps, or brake pads and the like. He then said he would replace it for free for "good will." He, of course, kept the old unit.

So, I am very happy. Since this is the second Subaru I had purchased from this dealership, they wanted to keep me happy. I would now give them preference for the purchase of a third one.

It pays to ask questions and behave cordially. For both of us.

Al

Reply to
Al