OutbackWagon with jumpy transmission

Whenever the temperature drops below 30 degrees F. or so, my Outback Wagon's auto transmission behaves oddly the first time I run it in the morning. It runs normally as I leave the driveway and go down a hill. When I slow down at the corner and then give it some gas to accelerate up a steep hill it tries to drop into third -- but instead goes into neutral,and the engine races up to 4000++ RPM -- Then the tranny slams into gear with a mighty bang and then proceeds normally. On a really cold morning sometimes this repeats a couple more times going up the hill. After it goes a few miles and warms up it runs just fine. This has happened several times last year and again this year, but only the very first thing after starting on a very cold morning. The local Subaru dealer has "looked at it" on two occasions but, naturally, says everything checks out normally.

Anyone ever hear of a similar problem? Any suggestions? Thanks Scott

Reply to
JAY ODELL

I have an '03 Forester that basically does the same thing but not as severe as you describe. When I drive out of my driveway, the shift from first to second is smooth but the next shift takes a long time for it to occur then I get an instant high rpm as if the tranny is slipping after which it goes into gear and I have no more trouble with it the rest of the day! My dealer informed me that some Subys had that problem (reprogramed computers solved it) but there was no Technical Service Bulletin re the Forester!! So far I am not pushing the issue--just waiting to see if it gets worse before my warranty runs out in about 18 months!!!

Reply to
Zane Owen

My 2000 Forester AT has done this for 80,000 miles (since New). I think the trans may have a temp no shift function between 2d and higher gears to let fluid warm up before loading. I just hold ~2500 rpm till it shifts in about

5-10 seconds. ed
Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thanks for the info!! Will try the 2500 rpm trick and see if it works ok on my '03 Suby for 80000 miles--sounds good to me!!!

Reply to
Zane Owen

Thanks, I'll certainly share this with my dealer. Interesting that even if not a recall item, that some dealers are aware of the problem. Mine did it again a few days ago when I left the house on a cold morning. High RPM, than slammed into gear, than behaved properly after warming up. Takes me back to the good old days of squealing speedometer cable and screaming clutch throwout bearings in high mileage old cars on frosty mornings. Somehow I would expect more of a low miles high tech modern Subaru! Scott

Reply to
scott

Sounds like a valve body problem....shift valve getting stuck, and finally, pushed back out, 3rd gear clutches /band (if any) applies suddenly and forcefully...

When did you last change the fluid?

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown