Cutting out 95 Camry

Does anyone please have any ideas on this?

My step daughter has a 95 Camry, with the 5SFE engine, it will start easily, then occasionaly cut out, (usually when idling at lights etc) and not start. Then after leaving it awhile it seems to start easily again.

There have also been the odd occasions on the freeway when it will get up to about 60, and then go no faster, then this too will mysteriously clear, and it runs normally again.

The problem has been going on for about 18 months now, and everytime it goes to the mechanic, it behaves itself.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Miles-Davros

Suddenly cutting out at random times sounds like an electrical issue. Would check the ignition coil first as those have known to be a problem and would cause the engine to stop running. Mine must be the California model with the coil on the strut tower, but most Camrys have the ignition coil inside the distributor (where it is subjected to more heat and vibration). The factory service manual has a checklist for no spark conditions, but could be hard to use with an intermittent condition. Try tapping on the coil while connected to a DMM (digital multi meter - there are basic resistance specifications for the primary and secondary windings), and also heating it with a blow dryer to simulate engine heat, or just replacing it with another from a wrecking yard. Generally, trouble shooting by replacing parts is not the best method, but since others have reported coils going out through the years, might be worth a try.

Reply to
Daniel

Dan, Good tips. One suggestion is to use dielectric grease on any connectors after cleaning and reconnecting to make them water-tight. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I have had my coil inside the distributor get damp after high humidity or rain and short out after the car warmed, leaving it useless for 15-45 minutes. It would die on aceleration till it dried out. A loose cap, bad coil, grease on coil, bad cap and wires can all do this. This is not an area for aftermarket parts, My aftermarket cap and wires only last 3-5 yrs, pay the higher price for parts you know will work. Likely the coil but put on new wires and cap and plugs because of age. My aftermarket wires caused a short only when hot. So doing all is best.

Reply to
m Ransley

Hmmm that's along the lines of what I was thinking, it's a pity her mechanic is he admits "not too hot with electrics"

Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated, and I'll pass on the info to her.

Reply to
Adrian Miles-Davros

Thanks David, I appreciate your input!

Reply to
Adrian Miles-Davros

Hello Michael, LOL! we usually only meet in Dave bashing sessions!

Thanks for your help, it does sound like a very similar problem.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Miles-Davros

Dave as in Dave the Hvac Hack! I havnt seen him in awhile

Reply to
m Ransley

The very same! He's polluting the RV groups, with his usual asinine trolling, but they're onto him there, and he was using the name MsMaryPoppins in divorce and marriage groups. He seems to be using the name Daveinlakevilla more now, in the gun groups especially.

But he is posting a lot less, I thought he may have been sticking behind the webtv firewall.......

Reply to
Adrian Miles-Davros

RV groups which ones, he is always worth a slap side the head.

Reply to
m Ransley

ROFLMAO!

You said it mate!

alt.rv

But the last post was on the 15th. He did imply that he was going away for a few days this month, which would explain the lack of posts.

Anyway, if you find him, give him a slap from me too!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Miles-Davros

He's even posted in news:alt.engineering.electrical but only the once. For a hvac tech, I mean hack, he's totally clueless. LOL

Reply to
Dr Halonfire$

Halonfire, the only time I see you is when Daaave is around, how did you find this thread. Funny how Daaave bring out the best in everyone. We need to pay Daaave a visit.

Reply to
m Ransley

HI Adrian

I hate AOHell...(this is the THIRD attempt to reply)..keep getting disconnected..Have a book that cover the same engine up to 95 but thjey have nothing useful on the ignition system..had the same idle cut-out on a 2.2 Mitsubishi engine and never did solve it..but was suspect of the wiring into the dist and the pick-up coil...Does that distributor have what is called an "ignitor" (Honda's have them) or an ignition module

They function like a set of points in the old days and go bad, but usually goes out totally..Ken

Reply to
Flakey714

Google is a most useful thing!

How are you? I'm always around in the UK dating groups; just lurking and abusing the spammers mainly. I post in 1 or 2 of the UK Pagan groups too from time to time. As you say dave is always worth a slap, and although I'm not normally a slapper, he deserves even the abuse of a forthright woman such as myself - and he gets it too. :)

It's a shame Lake Villa is on another part of the planet far from me or I'd join you in your dave visiting spree. ;)

Reply to
Dr Halonfire$

Hi Ken,

Unfortunately, I haven't seen it myself, as it was behaving when I was over there, and it certainly didn't act up when I drove it, so the assumption was that it was ok again.

I get the feeling it doesn't happen so much in the cooler winter, so I do feel the idea of temperature and humidty has something to do with it.

I'll check on this igniter V ignition module, but I think it's a module.

I know one thing, it would be a lot better if it did go out completely, but this intermittent thing is maddening! LOL!

Reply to
Adrian Miles-Davros