p301 code, 97 brighton wagon

A few weeks ago when I started my car in the morning it stumbled/misfired for about 60 seconds during which the CEL flashed off and on, but then stayed on. The car has not misfired since and I'm getting the same mileage as ever. . While I know that code P301 is supposed to be a cylinder 1 misfire, I have also read that it could be triggered by problems with vapor recapture canister. In my case, the night before had been very warm (and the underground tanks probably still quite cool) and I filled, somewhat topped off, the tank 1/2 mile from home that evening. So I'm wondering if gasoline could have expanded and overflowed into the recapture system and cause the temporary misfire and yet left no permanent damage. I have not yet cleared the code to see if it returns.

Anyone have any similar experience?

Reply to
kapjim

I've had cylinder misfires occur for 2 apparent reasons on my wife's Outback. Once it seemed to happen after a fill-up. It was cleared and did not return.(water? vapor recovery?)

Another time I got misfires and they DID return after clearing. It eventually seemed to be due to a bad battery (dead cell).

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I had a cylinder misfire code when my spark plug wires needed to be re- greased. Car would start fine, but as soon as I would try to pull away, it would nearly stall and the CEL would blink. Then at the last possible microsecond car would regain control and everything would return to normal. Horrifying when you're trying to pull out into traffic! First time, simply regreased the coil contacts. Eventually, replacing the wires solved the slight hesitation I used to get on a take-off from zero.

Reply to
Chicobiker

Good post, a '97 could def be needing new plug wires or have other high-voltage problems like cracked coil w'ever.

\Sometims looking around under the hood at night will show arcing, or spraying with water while idling might find a sensitive wire that's shorting out with condensation w'ever.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

No further misbehavior...a one time occurrence....and car passed its emission test today. (Auto Zone had reset the CEL 5-6 weeks ago)

Reply to
kapjim