parts question

i have a 93 impreza L and i am in need of a couple electronic parts. i've found a couple places that can get them for me but they are very expensive. does anyone here know where i can find the parts i need without having to go in debt to get them? i need a "throttle control sensor" and a "mass air flow sensor" thanx in advance for any help you can give

Reply to
unforgiven 33

Ask at the forums on

. IIRC there had been a replacement element for inside the MAF that was much less expensive than the whole unit - not sure if it included your model year though.

carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I would go the used parts route. You are probably looking at over $500 for these two parts new. I could buy these parts at a local wrecking yard for $25 for example.

Reply to
johninKY

the two parts i am looking for i have found new (over 700 bucks total) so i've been trying every junk yard i can find in my area. so far none of them have what i need. they don't even have a subaru on the grounds. it's turning my hair gray :-)

Reply to
unforgiven 33

Try eBay or some salvage yard that has connections throughout the USA.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

On a related note, I'm trying to find a fairly simple part that I figure shouldn't be more than maybe $15. It's the wire that controls the A/C compressor clutch (2004 WRX) and contain a moisture resistant socket. I don't think it's part of the $600 wiring harness. It could come as part of the A/C compressor clutch (~$170 at 1stsubaruparts.com). I've gone to a couple of dealers and they both told me that their parts inventory didn't show such a part - at least not separately.

My wire was chewed by a mouse, and it's knawed along the length and severed right at the connector. Someone has offered to solder it to a wire so that I can splice it to the remaining wire. I'm not sure how secure that would be without the added strength of a splice.

In an emergency, I'll have electrical tape and a paper clip handy.

Reply to
y_p_w

You really don't have much to lose by trying the repair. A word of caution - the soldering to the connector can be tricky. If the housing is thermoplastic (instead of Bakelite or similar) the heat of soldering can deform it and cause the pin to not line up right. Work-arounds include removing the pin from the connector while soldering (not usually practical, but worth looking at) and soldering very nimbly. Freezing the connector first will also help - I've soldered to glass fuses by freezing them, tinning the ends, freezing again and soldering the tinned wire to the tinned fuse very rapidly.

Strength will be a problem with and without a splice. You will definitely want some sort of support so the wire doesn't vibrate and tug. Wrapping the connector and wire with electrical tape looks funky but relieves a lot of strain and vibration.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I plan on using several segments of polyolefin heat shrink tubing to cover up wire portions that have been knawed on. Would heat shrink do the trick? All they had at Wal-Mart was tiny 2 inch long pieces, I'll probably need to go to an electronics supply store.

I'm not an expert with a soldering iron, although I am an electrical engineer. I know someone who is probably more qualified than myself. The wire is literally cut 2 mm from the end of the connector. We tried removing the wire and disassembling the connector. It had a gasket that could be removed, but that was about it. I'm thinking of going to a dealer and asking to see an A/C compressort clutch to see if this wire comes in the box.

Reply to
y_p_w

That sounds workable. Heat shrink is fine, but you still want to provide support to the wire so it isn't pulling on or shaking the soldered part - it will fatigue and break.

A 50W iron should do a good job with 2mm available. As long as the end and the wire are tinned on the first pass and then quickly joined on the second pass it should be good.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee