97 contour stalls

I have the contour lx with a V6 asn it will accasioally stall when I take my foot off the gas peddle The check engine light is on any Ideas?

Reply to
m1cha3l

Get the codes read for the check engine light. Some shops will do it for free. Post the code(s) here.

Reply to
Bill 2

sounds like either the intake air temp sensor or the Mass air flow sensor. both will lean out the fuel on bank 1. Bill has it right. I know that Advance auto parts will do a read for free and print the results for you, Autozone is also supposedly capable of doing a read. The temp sensor is about $10 to $15, The MAF is just over $100. It is also possible to have the MAF cleaned or rebuilt in some cases. All cars made after 95 are able to have the trouble codes read. good luck

Reply to
stubby hammerhead

Up here the MAF is over $300 (assuming V6, if you have 2 banks).

I just replaced one and it did not solve my problem - lean code at idle both banks (long term fuel trim 25 at idle) - no stalling. I have had a succession of leaks - starting with manifold gaskets - and also had the water pump go. Today I found a leak in the bottom of a vacuum hose (chased it down with a stethoscope after it got bad enough I could hear it hiss) and my LTFT at idle now below 20 and dropping)

Check EVERY vacuum line on the ngine - and then CHECK THEM ALL AGAIN before blaming anything electrical or electronic for the problem. One thing Ford has repeatedly been unable to manufacture or sourse is decent rubber hoses.

My (wife's) ride - 1996 Mystique 2.5 Duratec with leather, sunroof, and traction control

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce