pissed off- fix one thing, another breaks !!

ok, bear with my rant.......

the mechanic for my old pathfinder was an hour away and i had to wait around till mid afternoon, so when i bought my 2000 obw, i wanted to find someone closer. so a good friend and trustworthy car guy recommended a guy nearer to me, about 15 minites away from nyc, across the bridge in teaneck.

i take the car over to get a tune up. plugs . fuel filter, the usual stuff. and apparently they have to take out the wiper fliud reservior to change the plugs. the tune up is done, the car runs great, the mileage is up to spec, but now THE FRONT WINDSHIELD FLUID PUMP DOESN'T WORK. I take it back 10 days later, and the pump is fried, it's getting power, but not working. 165 to fix with a dealer only part and of course, the comment..... " yea, we're sorry about that. nothing we can really do, ther'es no telling when those kind of things will go."

a fluid washer pump going at 65.000 miles? leaking rear tail lights? what's next that shoudn't happen? or did the mechanic screw up on their own? maybe it's my fault for buying a car in it's first model year, maybe i got a lemon. but this is lame to me. nice manual trannie though........

you've all been very helpful, btw. thanks.. :-)

Reply to
mo

UMMM did they refill the washer bottle when they replaced it as the washer pump uses the water in the bottle as lubrication as well as cooling(just a thought)...

Reply to
Darren Dempsey

How many Outbacks had the mechanic worked on prior to yours?

-LK

Reply to
lkreh

the friend who recommended them takes his outback there, and the office lady has a legacy that they work on.

and....they didn't drain the resivior, just moved it to get at the plugs. the level was fine all the time. and the rear works pump still works.

dealer service doesn't look so bad from this angle, i'm just not quite up to speed on doing the work myself. haven't done that for a few years and no real driveway to do it in at the present time.

Reply to
mo

Hi,

Are these guys a Subie shop (as in exclusively, or at least on the menu w/ Toyota, Honda or something like that?) or "just some guys...?"

Yeah, there's a possibility the pump fried on its own, but it seems unlikely. Knock on wood, my washer pumps have always given much better service than that. I'd be for double checking these guys really know their way around Subies.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

The Washer pump for the rear and the front are one and the same. The green connectors in front of the bottle are for the power.

Was there fluid coming out anywhere when the rear worked and the front didn't? Leakage in the hoses?.

If the fr>

Reply to
Marc and Jill