Highlander Tune up?

Dealer is going to charge my something like $500 for a tune up on my

2001 Highlander with 60,000 miles. What's involved and what's really necessary. Anything I can do on my own? Plugs and wires are easy enough.
Reply to
B. Chamberlin

Do what the owners manual says!

One of my "things" is that I have all the fluids done at about each 30k - overkill I know but a couple of hundred every couple of years on a $30k vehicle is cheap. I do the air/cabin filters about 15k.

Reply to
ron

Thanks, but I think you missed the point of my post. All that stuff is necessary? I thought $500 was a lot for a non repair. I was looking for what I could do on my own to make it cheaper.

Reply to
B. Chamberlin

In theory, you should be able to do any of the stuff on the Maintenance List. And, if it is on the list, it should be done. Look at the list, and do what you can, then consider the affects of skipping an item. If the item can't be skipped and you can't do it, then start shopping.

I can't think of any routine maintenance on any car that new that can't be done in an afternoon under the shade tree in the back yard.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

With the more modern cars, I wasn't sure if they hooked it up to a tuning computer. That, I couldn't do.

Reply to
B. Chamberlin

No need to hook the vehicle up to a computer to do periodic maintenance. For $500, you could invest in parts and a factory repair manual and do it all yourself, assuming you have a good set of tools, a jack, and jack stands. If you don't want to invest in the factory repair manual, check your local auto parts stores for a Chilton or Motors manual.

If you have a V-6, the rear spark plugs will be a challenge to reach but not impossible.

The only thing that may be a little tricky and time-consuming for a novice do-it-yourselfer is the timing belt replacement. You may want to ask the dealer how much they charge for the timing belt replacement - they often have specials.

Reply to
Ray O

If it is so easy to change the spark plugs, why do dealers charge $100 extra to replace them with Platinum ones. Is there anything special to install the platinum spark plugs?

Reply to
Nick

Platinum plugs are not inherently more difficult to change than conventional ones but they do cost quite a bit more, like $10 to $15 more. Do not attempt to gap or bend the electrodes on platinum plugs because you can damage the platinum coating.

Reply to
Ray O

There is no difference in the installation, but the plugs themselves are a bit more expensive, but not $100 more expensive.

Maintenance

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Harlen Ng

Never ask your dealer for a tune up. Look in your owners guide and see what is recommended for a 60,000 mile service. Ask specifically for these items - ONLY. Asking for a tune up is like offering to open up your wallet and let the dealer take everything he wants. If you feel the Toyota maintenace schedule is inadequate and that you some services are needed more often, then add those to your list. Don't ask for generic services (like a tune up) or let the dealer force his recommended list on you.

Regards,

Ed White

"B. Chamberl>

Reply to
C. E. White

OEM both repair/manuals total about $350 plus tax.....

-G-

Reply to
Raneman