power antenna lubrication

I have a 1999 Legacy 4dr. sedan and the power antenna stays up partially during the cold winter months (sub-freezing temps). It never does this during the summer.

What type of lubrication can I use to keep the antenna from freezing-up during the winter months, and how do I apply it so that it goes down into the tube without damaging the motor & so as not to attract dust to the mast & gumming it up during the summer months ??

Reply to
X-Eliminator

The lubricant that I see recommended for power antennas is white lithium grease. I rub it on the antenna and run it up and down. I believe a spray white lithium grease is also now available.

The newer silicone sprays may work, but I have not tried them. Seen them suggested in several forums. The silicone based lubricants are less likely to attract dust.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Can't go past lithium grease. Will re-lubricate damn near anything. I use the spray version, but wouldn't advise the spray can for the antenna unless you mask off the paintwork first, or enjoy spending a weekend getting huge amounts of grease off the bodywork.

Also extremely good for lubricating door locks, hinges, ignition barrel, anything that moves =) spray version is much better than the stick version for barrels and hinges, for obvious reasons.

-mark

Reply to
mark jb